This Zucchini Cheesy Quick Bread couldn’t be any easier! This savory bread is perfect for sandwiches! Especially grilled cheese!! I skipped a step by using Bisquick, (or your favorite baking mix) instead of mixing all the dry ingredients together.
If you are a follower of this little blog of mine, you know that I am crazy about quick breads. You can incorporate just about any fresh or frozen ingredient that you are trying to get rid of. If you have a bundle of parsley or thyme or rosemary in your refrigerator that you have to use up quickly, throw it in a savory quick bread and serve it as a side for just about any meal.
- What Cheese is Best to Use in Cheese Bread?
- Can You Substitute Other Vegetables in This Cheesy Quick Bread?
- Can You Freeze Cheese Bread?
- How to Make Cheese Bread
- How to Store Cheesy Quick Bread
- Other Delicious Quick Breads Recipes on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
- Tools I Use to Make Cheese Bread
- Recipe Video
You can use either fresh or frozen, thawed zucchini. If you use fresh zucchini, use 2 cups shredded zucchini. If you use frozen, thawed zucchini, use approximately 4 cups (amount before freezing) of grated zucchini.
When using frozen ingredients, make sure you thaw them completely and drain the excess water very well or your bread will fall. In the case of the zucchini, I grate them when fresh in the summer and place in food storage bags. If you use this method, you really should wring the excess water out by squeezing in you hands because they store large amounts of water that will ruin your bread.
What Cheese is Best to Use in Cheese Bread?
Truly, any semi hard cheese can be used in cheese bread. In this case, I used a sharp cheddar. Other cheeses that would be equally delicious include, gouda, swiss, colby, muenster or gruyere, amoung others! Hard cheeses, such as Parmesan, Romano or Asiago could also be used for a different flavor profile!
Every different cheese would result in a totally unique bread so the possibilities are literally endless.
Can You Substitute Other Vegetables in This Cheesy Quick Bread?
Absolutely, you can substitute other vegetables in the quick bread. Use grated carrot or parsnip, instead of the zucchini. Substitute dill, parsley, rosemary or basil for the green onion. Just like the cheese, every different addition will give you another flavor profile! The possibiliies, are, once again, endless!
Can You Freeze Cheese Bread?
Yes, you can freeze this cheese bread for at least 3 months.
How to Make Cheese Bread
- Grate cheese.
- Slice green onions.
- Drain zucchini, if using frozen.
- Break eggs into small bowl. Whisk.
- Measure milk or buttermilk. Substitute milk with lemon juice or vinegar added to make buttermilk.
- Measure baking mix.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add zucchini, cheese and green onions.
- Mix well.
- Pour batter in 2 9″X 5″ bread pans. Fill 2/3 full.
Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until tester comes out clean in the middle.
How to Store Cheesy Quick Bread
Cheese Bread can be stored in a paper bag on the counter for 2-3 days, in the refrigerator for about 5 days, or wrapped in freezer paper and frozen for up to 3 months.
Other Delicious Quick Breads Recipes on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Banana Quick Bread
- Blueberry Banana Quick Bread
- Orange Cranberry Pumpkin Quick Bread
- Peach Pecan Quick Bread
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Tools I Use to Make Cheese Bread
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
This bread is great toasted with butter but also makes a killer grilled cheese sandwich!
- 4 c Bisquick baking mix
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 2 c buttermilk
- 2 c grated zucchini
- 1 c grated sharp cheddar
- 2 scallions , chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 2 - 9" x 5" loaf pans..
- Mix eggs and buttermilk in mixer bowl and beat until combined.
- Add zucchini, cheese and scallions and just mix through.
- Bake 1- 1 1/4 hours until tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool thoroughly on wire rack.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
CARING IS SHARING
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later, share it on Facebook, tweet about it and Yum it to Yummly! I greatly appreciate it!! Tag me @binkysculinarycarnival or #binkysculinarycarnival!!
Originally Published 3/23/2017