Absolutely delicious, unbelievably easy Coconut Ambrosia Macaroons! Ultra moist and fruity! Added bonus? Gluten Free and Dairy Free!
Mom’s Christmas present this year, (She loves them!) but not really a Christmas cookie. Good anytime of the year if you like Coconut! Prep is less than 10 minutes! I got the inspiration for this recipe from Bon Appetit but have modified it to render it lactose free. (it was originally gluten free)
I am very fond of citrus of any kind, but I am crazy about the flavor of oranges in baked goods! This Cranberry Orange Pumpkin Quick bread is amazing! And so easy! These on the other hand have orange and chocolate!! I mean really, what’s not to love! Chocolate and Orange are a marriage made in heaven!!
If you are a coconut lover, like I am, you will love these little mouthfuls!
These are so moist, they melt in your mouth! These Ischeler’s Tortellettes are a fun Christmas treat, as well! I hope you like the post today for Ambrosia Macaroons!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are I use and enjoy and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Binky’s Culinary Carnival is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Buying through the Amazon links will not increase your cost for the product!
Gluten and lactose / dairy free treats for any occasion!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) lactose free margarine, room temperature (Fleischmann's Unsalted is the only one I can find. See blog post for suggestions. Ambrosia Macaroons)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 3 large eggs
- 24 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (about 6 cups firmly packed. Small package of Baker's coconut if 14 oz. Get 2 packages!)
- 2 Tbsp . lactose free margarine
- 2 Tbsp . Cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp . water
- Juice and grated rind from 1/2 of a large orange
- 3/4 c . powdered sugar
Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line large rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
Using electric mixer, beat margarine in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and salt; beat until blended.
- Beat in orange peel, then eggs.
Mix in coconut.
Drop batter onto sheets by tablespoonfuls, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake macaroons, 1 sheet at a time, until golden on bottom and browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes. (Slide parchment paper off of the sheets, if you need to use the sheet for the next batch.) Cool completely on sheets.
- Using fork, drizzle chocolate over macaroons. Dry on parchment sheets until chocolate is firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Can be store in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days, or pack in airtight containers and freeze for up to one month.
- Grate rind of 1/2 orange. Juice the 1/2 orange.
- Melt margarine in small saucepan.
- Whisk in Cocoa powder, water, orange juice and orange rind.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk until smooth and the consistency of a melted chocolate.
- You can easily add a few more drops of water or orange juice if the glaze is too thick. Alternately, if the glaze is too thin, add tablespoons of powdered sugar at a time, until you achieve a good consistency.
Originally Published 12/26/2014