Super tasty, colorful Raspberry Sherbet or sorbet, is dairy free and vegan and can be made with either fresh or frozen raspberries!
This is an incredibly easy dessert that is great for the whole family. Only 5 minutes to put it together and another 15 minutes to churn.
What is the difference between sherbet and sorbet?
OK. First things first. For the record, the word is sherbet. Not sherbert. There is only 1 R in the word.
Now that we have that out of the way, both sorbets and sherbets are usually fruit based. They can literally be made with any fruit you have on hand. The difference between a sorbet and a sherbet is that sherbets contain a bit of dairy.
The dairy is usually in the form of milk or cream. This makes the sherbets creamier than the a sorbet. Sorbets are lighter.
What you need
- raspberries – fresh or frozen raspberries may be used.
- bananas – use very ripe bananas. We usually freeze them when they are too ripe to eat to use in smoothies and desserts. The flavor is sweeter if they are frozen.
- honey – use local raw honey. (use maple syrup for vegan)
- sugar – or use all honey or syrup
- salt – just use a pinch
- dairy free milk – such as; almond, cashew, soy or rice milk. (eliminate for raspberry sorbet)
How to make it
If using fresh raspberries, rinse under cold water. Remove any hulls that may still be on berries. If you would like to remove the seeds, blend raspberries alone first. Then strain the juice through a fine mesh sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth. Then proceed with recipe.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor bowl.
- Blend well. If mixture is too thick add a bit of warm water to thin.
- Save a few handfuls of berries and rough chop by hand for a chunkier sherbet.
- Add the mix to previously frozen ice cream maker bowl. Churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- You can make this no churn as well. Just place in a metal container and freeze. (It will freeze faster) Stir it every 45 minutes or so to add air and break up any larger chunks.
How long can you freeze it?
Homemade frozen treats are best eaten within 2-4 weeks of making. They have a tendency to freezer burn after that.
Pro tips for the best sherbet or sorbet
- use the freshest fruit you can find. When fruits are in season, buy large quantities and freeze them immediately, to preserve the best quality.
- raspberries have a incredibly short shelf life. Immediately after bringing your berries home, rinse them and freeze.
- Make small batches so that you can use it up within a few weeks. The texture will suffer after that.
- Add a bit of warm water if sherbet is too thick to smooth it out.
- If you would like to remove the seeds, blend raspberries alone first. Then strain it through a fine mesh sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth. Then proceed with recipe.
Is this Raspberry sherbet healthy?
Fruit desserts are generally healthier than those made with chocolate and the like.
This raspberry sherbet has no fat or cholesterol, compared to cakes and pies. If you substitute the added sugar with all honey or maple syrup, it will be even healthier. This sherbet is vegan, (when using maple syrup and dairy free milk/cream) dairy free, gluten free.
Raspberry Sorbet is paleo, gluten free, dairy free, vegan and whole 30 diet approved.
I hope you enjoyed this delicious, fresh, dairy free Raspberry Sherbet.
Love Gardening? If you love growing your own produce, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
Other delicious fruity desserts
Tools I use
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in the comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
Raspberry Banana Sherbet
- Mix all ingredients in blender container and blend until smooth. Start with 2 tablespoons of sugar and taste. Sugar will depend on how sweet/ ripe the berries are.
- Place in frozen ice cream maker bowl. Churn for 15 to 20 minutes, according to ice cream maker manufacturer’s instruction.
- Freeze at least 2-4 hours until well frozen.