This Curried Yellow Squash Soup is creamy, and delicious! It is also gluten free and vegan! Yellow Squash Soup is a great use for squash from the garden! It is also, conveniently, gluten free and vegan!
Anyone who has ever had a garden, and planted yellow squash or zucchini, knows that no matter how many you plant, you end up with a plethora of squash! They are one of the most prolific crops you can plant!
Then, there is the added frustration when you walk out to the garden and you missed one yesterday. Frighteningly, today it is 2 feet long and weighs about 3 pounds!
Now with zucchini, you can cut out the large seeds, grate in a food processor and then freeze for use in breads, cakes and pesto. Unfortunately there are not as many uses for yellow squash!
This, my friends, is the answer to all of your prayers! It takes less than 30 minutes and you can make huge batches!
How to make Yellow Squash Soup
Just cut out the seeds, if the squash has gotten too large and cut into 1-2″ pieces. Rough chop 1/2 of a large onion and crush 4 large cloves of garlic. Saute them for a few minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Then add your spices and saute’ a few more minutes until the spices are fragrant. Add a splash of white wine and then fill the pot with water until you see the water but the squash isn’t totally submerged in water.
Cook for about 15 minutes until the sqaush is very soft. Remove from heat and puree the soup with an immersion blender or do it in batches in a food processor or blender. Once it is smooth enough to your liking, finish it with coconut milk!
Boom! Done! This soup is smooth, creamy and the spices just kick it up to a whole new level of awesomeness!
The other beautiful thing about making soup out of the yellow squash, is that you can freeze it! This, of course, is fantastic because raw squash doesn’t freeze well! Just place the soup in freezer bags, lay them flat in your freezer and you can have fresh soup all year long!!! Perfect! Make a huge batch!!
I forgot to mention how healthy this soup is! Low in calories and high in vitamins and some minerals. The soup is high in antioxidants, anti-immflatatory and anti-carcinogenic compounds, thanks to the spices! I hope you like this new recipe for Curried Yellow Squash Soup today!
Love Gardening? If you love growing your own produce, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Curried Yellow Squash Soup
- 6 cups yellow squash, seeds removed if large, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 large vidalia onion
- 4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 cups about, water. Just add enough water so that you can see it, but don't cover the squash
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic, granulated
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 14 oz coconut milk 1/2 of 1 can
- Prepare vegetables, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add vegetables and saute' until vegetables are soften.
- Add spices and stir, to cover all the vegetables. Saute' a few more minutes until the spices are very fragrant.
- Add wine to de-glaze pan. Add enough water so that you can see the water in the pan but do not fully submerge yellow squash.
- When the squash is very soft, remove from heat. If you have an immersion blender, blend until smooth. If not, blend in blender or food processor, in batches. Add coconut milk and stir.
- Serve hot or place in freezer bags and freeze for future use.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.