This Curried Yellow Squash Soup is creamy, and delicious! It is also gluten free and vegan. It’s a great use for squash from the garden. It also freezes beautifully.
Anyone who has ever had a garden, and planted yellow squash or zucchini, knows that no matter how many you plant, you end up with a plethora of squash. They are one of the most prolific crops you can plant!
Then, there is the added frustration when you walk out to the garden and you missed one yesterday. Frighteningly, today it is 2 feet long and weighs about 3 pounds!
Now with zucchini, you can cut out the large seeds, grate in a food processor and then freeze for use in breads, cakes and pesto. Unfortunately there are not as many uses for yellow squash, although you can freeze it to make this soup later in the year.
This, my friends, is the answer to all of your prayers! It takes less than 30 minutes and you can make huge batches.
What you need
- yellow squash – if squash are very large, scoop out seeds.
- onion – use yellow or white onion
- garlic – use fresh and granulated garlic.
- coconut milk – freeze leftovers for future use.
- curry powder
- chili powder
How to make Yellow Squash Soup
- Halve squash.
- Scoop out the seeds, if the squash has gotten too large.
- Chop 1-2″ pieces.
- Rough chop 1/2 of a large onion.
- Crush 4 large cloves of garlic.
- Add olive oil to large pan,
- Add yellow squash, onions and garlic to the oil.
- Sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Add spices.
- Sauté a few more minutes until spices are very fragrant.
- Measure wine.
- Add wine to pot. Add water so that you can see it but don’t cover the squash.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes until squash is very soft. Add coconut milk.
- Use an immersion blender or separate into batches and use food processor or blender to blend soup.
Other spices you can use
Instead of using curry spices, the following combinations are also delicious
- fresh, thyme, parsley and sage
- Parmesan cheese with oregano, basil and parsley or marjoram.
- Give it a Mexican twist with cumin, coriander, garlic and chili powder or hot sauce.
- Serve with homemade croutons on top of soup.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, thyme or chives.
- Garnish with crispy bacon bits.
- Serve as a light dinner with a salad and a sandwich. Goes beautifully with grilled cheeses.
How to store soup
- soup will store in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days.
- For longer storage, freeze in bags or freezer containers up to a year.
Boom! Done! This soup is smooth, creamy and the spices just kick it up to a whole new level of awesomeness!
Freezing is fantastic way to store excess quantities of raw squash. Perfect for making a huge batch.
Is yellow squash soup healthy?
I forgot to mention how healthy this soup is! Low in calories and high in vitamins and some minerals. The soup is high in antioxidants, anti-immflatatory and anti-carcinogenic compounds, thanks to the spices! I hope you like this new recipe for Curried Yellow Squash Soup today!
Other delicious soups
- yellow split pea soup
- split pea soup with ham bone
- venison soup
- asparagus soup
- instant pot potato leek soup
Want to learn how to grow your own yellow squash? If you love growing your own produce, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season!
Don’t miss How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
Tools I use
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays. Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
For all of my favorite tools for cooking and gift ideas, see my New Amazon Store
I hope you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. This helps us to bring you more great free recipes! Thank you! See FTC Disclosure, here.
Curried Yellow Squash Soup
- 6 cups yellow squash, seeds removed if large, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 large vidalia onion
- 4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 cups about, water. Just add enough water so that you can see it, but don’t cover the squash
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic, granulated
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 14 oz coconut milk 1/2 of 1 can
- Prepare vegetables, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add vegetables and saute’ until vegetables are soften.
- Add spices and stir, to cover all the vegetables. Saute’ a few more minutes until the spices are very fragrant.
- Add wine to de-glaze pan. Add enough water so that you can see the water in the pan but do not fully submerge yellow squash.
- When the squash is very soft, remove from heat. If you have an immersion blender, blend until smooth. If not, blend in blender or food processor, in batches. Add coconut milk and stir.
- Serve hot or place in freezer bags and freeze for future use.
Originally published August 11, 2017. Updated on August 17, 2021.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.