Split Pea Soup is so easy to make in your Slow Cooker! Perfect for the cold weather, too!
Soup is so easy to make, especially if you use your slow cooker! No stirring required!
Another bonus with soups is they are usually packed with a variety of vegetables (nutrients) and can be easily made gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian or vegan. They are perfect for warding off, or lessening the effects of the common cold! Which is something those of us in the frozen north can always use, this time of year.
I have to say that I am the one in the family who is crazy about soup! My husband likes a good chicken soup once in a while and maybe a bowl or 2 of this Split Pea Soup, but that’s about it. Therefore, I end up eating most of batch! I will throw it the freezer in single serve portions and take it out for lunch. So easy and delicious!
Although I normally sauté the vegetables first, this step is not crucial. It just adds a bit of depth to the soup.
This soup I started with a smoked ham hock to give it that lovely smoky flavor. When the soup is done, remove the ham hock and discard. The meat is super fatty. I then added some ham that I had leftover in the freezer.
What is your favorite soup? I love how gorgeous this Easy Clam Chowder is from Elaine! You know of my great love for all things seafood! This Split Pea Soup for the slow cooker is one of mine! I hope you like the recipe for Split Pea Soup!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Split Pea Soup - Slow Cooker Version
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, with tops, diced
- 1 cut onion, diced
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ham hock size doesn't really matter
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1 quart vegetable or beef stock to cover
- 1 rind from hard cheese, such as parmesan, gruyere
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups diced ham optional
- Prepare vegetables
- Brown ham hock in heavy pan.
- Add browned ham to slow cooker.
- Saute vegetables in olive oil, in same pan as you used for ham, until softened. Add garlic and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add vegetables to slow cooker with peas and stock. If the stock does not cover everything, add water to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Stir.
- Slow cook on low for 6-8 hours, until thick and peas are soft. If desired, add ham the last hour just to heat through. Remove ham hock and discard.