This Lemon Zucchini Bread is so moist, yet the crust is perfectly crunchy! Lemon Zucchini Bread can be made with fresh or frozen grated zucchini!
During the summer, when there are a plethora of zucchini in the garden, I grate up large batches and freeze them until winter, so that I can make a few zucchini breads when it’s cold out! It gives me the perfect excuse to turn the oven on!
Quick breads are a super way to enjoy the summers’ bounty in the dead of winter! They make a perfect snack when the kids get home from school, a great dessert or an easy breakfast on the run!
The other reason I love making zucchini quick breads is that it is the only way that my 18 year old will eat zucchini! If it is hidden, he doesn’t even realize that it is there!
If I were to add some sauteed zucchini to his plate, hell would free over before he would eat it! I kid you not! I honestly don’t know what happened to him! The minute I handed him the spoon, as a toddler, he would push veges off of his plate, stating he did not “like it”!! Frustrating at best, for his foodie mother! 🙂
Not to be deterred, I resort to hiding veges, and I’m not afraid to admit it!
The Origins of Quick Breads
It is not precisely known when quick breads were developed. It is believed that quick breads came into fashion in the mid 1800’s, during the Civil War. The need for bread to feed the hungry troups, coupled with the new found chemical leavening agents, namely baking soda and baking powder, precipitated the development of quick breads.
Can You Freeze Lemon Zucchini Bread?
Yes. You can freeze Lemon Zucchini Bread. As a rule of thumb quick breads freeze very well for a few months. The only thing that is notable, is that the crust will lose much of it’s crunchiness! So if you are after that crispy crust, make it fresh!
How to Make Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Spray bread pans with non stick spray, or grease and flour.
- Measure and mix dry ingredients.
- Grate lemon rind.
- Use 3 eggs
- I used 4 cups of zucchini, because it loses so much volume when you freeze it. If you are using freshly grated zucchini, cut that down to 2 cups.
- Measure sugar.
- Mix eggs, oil to mixer bowl.
- Add sugar.
- Mix until light and frothy.
- Add vanilla and lemon. Mix.
- Add lemon zest and zucchini.
- Mix in.
- Add in flour mixture in 3 additions. Mix until just incorporated.
- Fill bread pans.
Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350°F. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Then remove from bread pans.
Other Delicious Quick Breads on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
- Blueberry Banana Quick Bread
- Black Forest – Chocolate Quick Bread
- Orange Cranberry Pumpkin Quick Bread
- Zucchini, Green Onion Cheesy Quick Bread
- Peach Bread with Caramel Glaze
That is how easy it is to make Lemon Zucchini Quick Bread, any time of the year! Thank you so much for stopping by!
Due to my background in horticulture, I had several readers request a tutorial on Vegetable Gardening. So if you have interest in the subject, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I Use to Make Lemon Zucchini Bread
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups frozen grated zucchini, or use only 2 cups fresh grated zucchini
- lemon zest from one lemon, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 bread pans.
- Measure and mix dry ingredients.
- Grate lemon zest.
- Break eggs into bowl.
- Drain frozen zucchini, squeeze out excess liquid. No need to drain fresh zucchini.
- Measure sugar.
- Beat eggs with oil to incorporate.
- Add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla.
- Next mix in lemon zest and zucchini.
- Add in flour in 3 additions, Just mixing to moisten.
- Fill bread pans 2/3 full. Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, until golden and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for about 15 minutes. Then loosen bread from edges of pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth with no remaining lumps. Glaze breads once they have fully cooled.
- Can be frozen for a few months. Wrap in plastic wrap and then in freezer paper.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 2/1/19