This Orange Cranberry Pumpkin Quick Bread is a favorite of everyone who tries it! The fruits really elevates a plain old pumpkin bread to the next level!
This recipe was originally published very early on in the life of BCC! In November of 2014! Here is an updated version to enjoy! I bought several pie pumpkins just before my local farm stand closed for the year. They just looked so pretty, I couldn’t resist! Since I can’t eat traditional pumpkin pie because of the lactose and my boys don’t really like pumpkin pie, I thought I would come up with some other recipes that had merit. I scored with this quick bread!
So you know when you’re trying to clean out the little bits of this and that out of the refrigerator and freezer and stumble on cast of characters that should be really great together? As it was with this bread. There was the 1 orange in the fruit drawer for too long and had started to look less than perfect but when cut was perfectly juicy, not dried out. Then there were the 2 partial bags of cranberries in the freezer. I have made a great Cranberry Bread for years that everyone loves, I thought about going with that and then saw the 4 beautiful little pumpkins sitting on the counter and thought, wow that sounds really good!
How to Make this Pumpkin Quick Bread
See How to Cook Pumpkin, if you would like to use fresh pumpkin.
- Pulse nuts and add to bowl with cranberries.
- Sort any bad cranberries out. Pulse frozen berries until fairly fine. Put them in a bowl.
- Place the quartered orange in the food processor.
- Mix a heaping tablespoon of flour with cranberries to prevent them from floating to the top of the batter in the pan.
- Pulse orange until most pieces are fine with a few left larger for extra texture in the bread.
- Measure flour, soda, salt and spices in a bowl and set aside (or use my pumpkin pie spice recipe).
- Beat eggs.
- Add orange and pumpkin to egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Add sugar to wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Incorporate flour about 1 cup at a time, just until wet.
- Don’t over beat. Just mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Incorporate cranberries and nuts by hand, just until mixed or your dough will turn pink from the juice of the cranberries.
- Spray loaf pans with no stick spray. Fill approximately 2/3 full.
Bake for 45 minutes to an hour (large loaves may take longer). Test for doneness with a cake tester or pick inserted in the middle of the bread, which should come out clean. These are really moist so they have to cool for at least an hour on a cooling rack in the pans or they will fall apart! Slide a knife along the edges and turn upside down to remove from pan. Then thoroughly cool before storing.
Notice the large chunks of orange and cranberry. These Orange Cranberry Pineapple Quick Bread are so moist and fruity, they are irresistible! If you like this, try my Orange Pineapple Coconut Quick Bread!
Other Delicious Bread Recipes on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Sourdough Hamburger Buns
- White Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Rye Bread
- Orange Pineapple Coconut Bread
Interested in growing your own vegetables and fruits? These posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I Use to Make Cranberry Orange Pumpkin Quick Bread
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
I hope you like the recipe today for Orange Cranberry Pumpkin Quick Bread! Give it a try and let us know how you like it! Don’t forget to sign up for our mailing list, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! As always,
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Orange Cranberry Pumpkin Quick Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 177°C.
- If using raw pumpkin, halve and remove seeds. Place in roasting dish pulp side down for about 1 hour. Let cool thoroughly. Remove meat and measure about 2 cups.
- Mix flour with baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg. ginger and cloves. Set aside.
- Quarter orange and remove seeds. Place pieces in food processor and pulse a few times. Rind pieces should not be too large, but I like some of them about pea size or slightly larger.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl.
- Add pumpkin and orange and combine.
- Incorporate sugar into wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients about 1 cup at a time, just until mixed.
- Process cranberry in food processor, again, leave a few of the pieces pea sized or so. Place in a bowl.
- Process nuts in food processor. Add nuts to cranberries in the bowl and toss together with the tablespoon of flour. This helps to stop the fruit from floating to the top of the batter.
- Incorporate Cranberries and nuts to the batter by hand.
- Spray loaf pans with no stick spray.
- Fill loaf pans 2/3 full.
- Bake 45 minutes – 1 hour, depending on size of loaves, or until pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow loaves to cool on cooling rack in the pans for at least 1 hour. Then slide knife down the edges to loosen. If they are cool enough, they literally fall right out when turned upside down. Let loaves cool fully on rack.
- These freeze very well. after they are fully cool, wrap in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. Or you can wrap in freezer paper.
Originally Published 11/18/2014