Making your own bread at home is not only fun and easy, it can save you lots of money and a trip to the store!
Funny story about the day I baked this bread. My friend Elaine has a new podcast to help bloggers called Dishing with Delishes. It is very informative and the day I baked this bread I was listening to her podcast with Casey Markee, from MediaWyse, a very well known SEO expert.
He was so interesting (and I forgot to set the oven timer), that I nearly burned my brioche! I ran in at the very last minute! Tragedy narrowly averted! If you are a blogger, you really should check out this podcast. Just remember to set the timer!! 🙂
What you need
- warm milk
Can you make bread without a machine?
The short answer is yes. You can use your stand mixer with a dough hook to make bread dough. The dough should be kneaded for about 10 minutes on setting number two of a kitchenaid mixer.
You can also mix it and knead it by hand. It is not hard, just a bit more work. If kneading by hand, knead for 10 minutes.
How to make bread with a bread machine
- Place all ingredients, in the order given, in to bread machine.
- Start dough cycle.
- When cycle is done, place dough on flour dusted board.
- Cut dough in half, shape into loaf.
- Spray bread pans with non stick cooking spray. Place dough in bread pan. Cover with clean kitchen towel.
- Place in warm area of kitchen and allow dough to rise for 30-40 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Bake at 400°F for about 30 minutes, until bread is golden.
- See recipe notes for additional tips.
How to make it with mixer
- Melt butter.
- Place dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Add warmed wet ingredients. *See recipe notes
- Mix together.
- Place dough on mixer stand equipped with dough hook.
- Knead on speed 2 (low) for Kitchenaid stand mixer, for 10 minutes. Dough should be smooth and elastic, when done kneading. Clean and grease bowl. Place dough in bowl.
- Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Let dough rise, in warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen, cut in half and punch it down.
- Roll up dough, then pinch seams on the bottom.
- Place loaves in greased bread pans.
- Cover dough, let dough rise until doubled again, in a warm spot.
- Brush with melted butter.
Bake at 400°F for 30-40 minutes, until golden. Internal temperature should measure 190°F.
Other delicious breads
Tools I use
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays. Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
For all of my favorite tools for cooking and gift ideas, see my New Amazon Store
I hope you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. This helps us to bring you more great free recipes! Thank you! See FTC Disclosure, here.
Rich White Bread (Brioche) for the Bread Machine
- Warm milk to between 105-115°F. Place ingredients in the bread maker in the order given.
- Turn bread maker on dough only mode.
- Use no stick spray or butter to grease 2 bread pans.
- When dough has risen in bread machine, remove it onto a floured cutting board. Knead dough to remove all of the air. Cut the dough in half. Form each into loaf shapes. Place in prepared pans, seam side down.
- Turn oven on low and set breads near the vent to rise again. Usually about 30 minutes. Until dough almost reaches the top of the bread pans.
- If you want a crispy crust, brush the top of the loaves with cold water. For a softer crust, brush the top with melted butter or a bit of oil.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden. Internal temperature should be 200°F. You can also rap the top of the bread with your knuckle, if it sounds hollow, it is done.