No kidding! The best damn grilled tuna and cheese sandwich you will ever eat! Tuna and Cheese is done is less than 20 minutes!
Ok, so I know what you are thinking. Has this woman lost her mind?
Anyone can make a grilled tuna and cheese sandwich, otherwise known as a tuna melt! I know that a grilled cheese sandwich is not rocket science, but this is the best damn tuna salad you will ever eat!
We have an easy sandwich for dinner a few times a month. They are great, when you have had a busy day! They are also so tasty, and delicious!
This classic tuna melt sandwich is great for a super easy weeknight dinner or for a nice weekend lunch!
As with most grilled sandwiches, it is done in less than half an hour. This is also packed with veges so there’s no need to make a salad!
What you need for a tuna melt
- chives, scallions or green onion, shallots or white or red onion
- celery seed
- freshly cracked black pepper
- quality bread
- butter or mayonnaise for the outside of the sandwich
- soft or melted butter.
How to make Grilled Tuna and Cheese
- Mix ingredients for tuna salad in medium bowl.
- Brush one side of bread with melted butter. Place in pan over medium heat.
- When first side is golden, reduce heat and flip.
- Top with thick cut cheese.
- Add tuna salad to the top of cheese.
Top tuna with toasted side of the second piece of bread. Cover pan with lid, so the cheese melts nicely. Turn the burner on medium heat. Usually when you stop hearing the bread sizzling, the bread is nicely browned and ready to flip over.
Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn. Carefully flip over so that you don’t lose ingredients.
Health Benefits of Tuna and Celery Seed
Canned tuna contains high-quality protein, selenium and potassium, not to mention the Omega-3 fatty acids and B complex vitamins! Make sure that you buy tuna which is line caught, to help protect the dolphin populations!
Also canned tuna has been shown to contain mercury, which is a heavy metal. Make sure you buy light tuna, rather than white tuna, as that has been shown to contain lower amounts of mercury.
Celery Seed, as well, has been shown to have multiple health benefits! Celery seed has been shown to help reduce blood pressure, improve cognitive function and improve joint function.
The Secrets to the Best Damn Grilled Tuna Sandwich
- Use high quality, sustainably caught, tuna fish, either canned in water or vacuum packed.
- Use a good quality mayonnaise, not salad dressing.
- Quite a bit of celery seed is important.
- A good quality bread is essential, either home made or store bought.
- Toast bread on both sides so that it stays crispy.
- You can substitute the butter for mayonnaise on the outside of the slices of bread. This will give a great crust as well and it’s easier to spread.
- When you hear the bread stop sizzling, it is the usually the perfect golden brown
What type of bread to use for your tuna melt
You can really use your favorite bread for these tuna melts. Some of our favorites are;
What to serve it with
You can serve your sandwiches with your favorite sides. Some of our favorites are;
- julienned carrots and celery
- beet chips or any other chips you like
- french fries
- onion rings
- side salad
- tomato soup
- garnish with a pickle spear or pickle slices
Other delicious sandwiches
I hope you like the recipe today for the Best Damn Tuna and Cheese Sandwich!
Tools I Use to Make The Best Damn Tuna Salad Grilled Cheese
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Leave a comment below and let me know how you like your tuna melts!
Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Best Damn Grilled Tuna & Cheese
- Mix all ingredients together, except for bread, butter and cheese.
- Thinly and evenly spread softened butter on slices of bread, on both sides. Or melt butter and brush on.
- Place 2 pieces of bread, buttered side down in a frying pan over medium heat. Toast on first side and then flip to second side.
- Top bread with 2 slices cheese, then top cheese with 1/4 of the tuna mixture.
- Place second piece of bread on top of the sandwich, with buttered side up, toasted side towards tuna. Place sandwiches in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Top pan with lid so that cheese melts nicely.
- When sandwiches are golden brown, carefully flip with spatula, so you don't lose ingredients. Be careful not to burn the bread.
- Repeat until you have 4 sandwiches.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Can be kept warm in the oven on low heat, until all sandwiches are toasted.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you go to the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.