No kidding! The best damn grilled tuna salad and cheese sandwich you will ever eat!
Ok, so I know what you are thinking. ‘Has this woman lost her mind?
Anyone can make a grilled tuna and cheese sandwich!’ I know that a grilled cheese sandwich is not rocket science, but this is the best damn tuna salad you will ever eat!
- The Method for Grilled Tuna and Cheese
- Health Benefits of Tuna and Celery Seed
- The Secrets to the Best Damn Grilled Tuna and Cheese Sandwich
- Other Popular Sandwiches on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
- Tools I Use to Make The Best Damn Tuna Salad Grilled Cheese
- Best Damn Grilled Tuna & Cheese
We have an easy sandwich for dinner a few times a month. They are so easy, when you have had a busy day! They are also so tasty, and delicious!
It is great for a super easy weeknight dinner or for a nice weekend lunch!
As with most grilled sandwiches, it is done in less than half an hour. This is also packed with veges so there’s no need to make a salad!
The Method for Grilled Tuna and Cheese
Just a few quick photos for any beginners out there. I add one small, minced shallot, about 1/2 c. small diced carrot and celery.
- I use 2 small cans or one large can. Drain the water. Place in bowl.
- Tada… My secret ingredient is celery seed! It adds a lovely, crisp flavor and aroma to most salads. I use it in macaroni salad, potato salad and cole slaw.
- Break the tuna up a bit with a fork. Then mix the tuna, vegetables, celery seed, salt, pepper and about 2 – 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise. (My husband uses closer to 1/2 cup! Yuck!) Point being, add however much mayonnaise you prefer.
- Mix everything together
- Toast bread in dry pan first. Butter one side of each piece of your preferred bread.
- I usually lay them in a cold pan so that I can build the sandwich without having to move the built sandwiches.
- Top each sandwich with tuna salad.
- Then with your cheese of choice. I love an extra sharp cheddar!
- Next just top with other slice of bread and place a lid on the top of the frying pan so that the cheese melts nicely. Turn the burner on medium heat. Usually when you start to hear the bread sizzling, the bread is browned and ready to flip over. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
Health Benefits of Tuna and Celery Seed
Canned tuna contains high-quality protein, selenium and potassium, not to mention the Omega-3 fatty acids and B complex vitamins! Make you sure that the tuna is buy is line caught, to help protect the dolphin populations! Also canned tuna has been shown to contain mercury, which is a heavy metal. Make sure you buy light tuna, rather than white tuna, as that has been shown to contain lower amounts of mercury.
Celery Seed, as well, has been shown to multiple health benefits! Celery seed has been shown to help reduce blood pressure, improve cognitive function and improve joint function.
The Secrets to the Best Damn Grilled Tuna and Cheese Sandwich
Today I am using my Zucchini, Green Onion Cheesy Quick Bread because it just tastes so great grilled and toasted!
It adds such a nice flavor! In half of the pictures, I used a brioche that I made but you can use any bread you have on hand. Rye is very good also.
Serve piping hot with a side of your choice.
I usually serve with carrot and celery sticks, since I have to cut them up anyway! 🙂
I hope you like the recipe today for the Best Damn Tuna and Cheese Sandwich!
Leave a comment below and let me know how you like your tuna and cheese sandwiches!
Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Other Popular Sandwiches on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
Tools I Use to Make The Best Damn Tuna Salad Grilled Cheese
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Best Damn Grilled Tuna & Cheese
- 2 cans tuna fish packed in water
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 c. carrot, diced
- 1/2 c celery, diced
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bread of your choice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- Mix all ingredients together, except for bread, butter and cheese.Thinly and evenly spread softened butter on bread.Place 1 piece of bread, buttered side down in a frying pan over medium heat.Top bread with 2 slices cheese, then top cheese with 1/4 of the tuna mixture. Place second piece of bread on top of the sandwich, with buttered side up. Continue until you have 4 sandwiches.When sandwiches are golden brown, carefully flip with spatula. Be careful not to burn the bread. Let cool slightly before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.