No kidding! The best damn grilled tuna salad and cheese sandwich you will ever eat!
Ok, so I know what you are thinking. ‘Has this woman lost her mind? Anyone can make a grilled tuna and cheese sandwich!’ I know that a grilled cheese sandwich is not rocket science but this is the best damn tuna salad you will ever eat!
It is great for a super easy weeknight dinner or for a nice weekend lunch! As with most grilled sandwiches, it is done in less than half an hour. This is also packed with veges so there’s no need to make a salad!
On to the Method for Grilled Tuna and Cheese
Just a few quick photos for any beginners out there. I add one small, minced shallot, about 1/2 c. small diced carrot and celery.
- I use 2 small cans or one large can. Drain the water. Place in bowl.
- Tada… My secret ingredient is celery seed! It adds a lovely, crisp flavor and aroma to most salads. I use it in macaroni salad, potato salad and cole slaw.
- Break the tuna up a bit with a fork. Then mix the tuna, vegetables, celery seed, salt, pepper and about 2 – 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise. (My husband uses closer to 1/2 cup! Yuck!) Point being, add however much mayonnaise you prefer.
- Mix everything together
- Butter one side of each piece of your preferred bread.
- I usually lay them in a cold pan so that I can build the sandwich without having to move the built sandwiches.
- Top each sandwich with tuna salad.
- Then with your cheese of choice. I love an extra sharp cheddar!
- Next just top with other slice of bread and place a lid on the top of the frying pan so that the cheese melts nicely. Turn the burner on medium heat. Usually when you start to hear the bread sizzling, the bread is browned and ready to flip over. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
Today I am using my Zucchini, Green Onion Cheesy Quick Bread because it just tastes so great grilled and toasted! It adds such a nice flavor! In half of the pictures, I used a brioche that I made but you can use any bread you have on hand. Rye is very good also.
Serve piping hot with a side of your choice.
I usually serve with carrot and celery sticks, since I have to cut them up anyway! 🙂 Here is link for our fantastic Rueben Sandwich!
I hope you like the recipe today for the Best Damn Tuna and Cheese Sandwich! Leave a comment below and let me know how you like your tuna and cheese sandwiches!
Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Easy delicious for lunch or an easy dinner!
- 2 cans tuna fish packed in water
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 c. carrot, diced
- 1/2 c celery, diced
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bread of your choice
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
Mix all ingredients together, except for bread, butter and cheese.
Thinly and evenly spread softened butter on bread.
Place 1 piece of bread, buttered side down in a frying pan over medium heat.
Top bread with 2 slices cheese, then top cheese with 1/4 of the tuna mixture.
Place second piece of bread on top of the sandwich, with buttered side up.
Continue until you have 4 sandwiches.
When sandwiches are golden brown, carefully flip with spatula. Be careful not to burn the bread.
Let cool slightly before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.