Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are a fun variation on the traditional that has a nice sweet and spicy kick and it’s so delicious.
This is a great use for my candied jalapeños. After canning the peppers there is some brining liquid left. Save it!
You can buy candied jalapeños everywhere. After the jar is used up, don’t discard juice. It is awesome!
What you need
- Your favorite bread
- candied jalapenos
How to make them
- Add brine to store bought or homemade mayonnaise to a small bowl.
- Mix well.
- Slather bread with the mayonnaise mixture on one side of each piece of bread.
- Add cheese to the side of the bread that has no mayonnaise.
- Layer cheeses. Top with a few slices of candied jalapeño on top of the cheese. Then top with the other slice of bread, with the mayonnaise facing out.
You can cook the sandwiches in a pan on the stove or in the air fryer until bread is golden brown and cheese is nicely melted. See this recipe for air frying directions.
To grill in a pan – Assemble sandwiches. Heat heavy bottom cast iron or large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Carefully place sandwich in pan.
Types of cheeses to use
Many cheeses are delicious in grilled cheese sandwiches. Some great combinations are;
- cheddar (use mild for melting and a little sharp cheddar cheese for flavor)
- Monterey jack
- slices of pepper jack cheese
- blue cheese
Types of bread to use
You can use your favorite bread to make these spicy grilled cheese sandwiches. White, wheat, rye, sourdough, whole grain, etc.
Variations of this grilled cheese
- Add crispy bacon
- Grilled ham and cheese
- tuna melt
- Add chopped green onion or chives
- Add sliced fresh tomatoes or sliced apple
- Try your favorite olives, sliced pimentos or pickles
- Depending on your spice tolerance, if you like extra spicy foods, feel free to substitute habanero or ghost pepper. If you taste buds don’t like foods too hot, use a more mild pepper like poblano or bell, like red peppers, orange, yellow or green.
- Sprinkle the outside pieces of bread that have the spicy mayonnaise on them with garlic powder or granulated garlic.
Pro tips for your success
- Use the best quality bread you can find.
- For any of the hard cheeses, grate the cheese rather slicing it. It will melt more evenly.
- Mix cheeses for more rounded flavor.
- Mayonnaise makes a better, crispier crust than butter, but you can use butter if you’d prefer.
- You can add a pat of butter to your pan for a more buttery flavor.
- Chop jalapenos or use sliced ones right from the jar.
These Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches pack a little kick. They couldn’t be easier and it’s a great way to jazz up a boring grilled cheese sandwich.
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in the comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For Candied Jalapéno Aioli
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise, homemade or store bought
- 2 teaspoon brine from jar of candied jalapenos
- 8 pieces bread
- 1/4 pound cheese of your choice see article above for cheese suggestions
- 6-8 slices candied jalapeno slices
- Mix ingredients together for aioli.2 tablespoon mayonnaise, homemade or store bought, 2 teaspoon brine from jar of candied jalapenos
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with a little aioli.8 pieces bread
- Place in frying pan or griddle aioli side down. Then build sandwich with cheese, meat if you choose, and as many candied jalapénos as you like. Top with the second slice of bread basted with the aioli, (aioli side up).1/4 pound cheese of your choice, 6-8 slices candied jalapeno slices
- Once the first side is golden brown, flip and brown the second side. Serve hot.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.