Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are a fun variation on the traditional that has a nice sweet and spicy kick and it’s so delicious.
This is a great use for my candied jalapeños. After canning the peppers there is some brining liquid left. Save it!
You can buy candied jalapeños everywhere. After the jar is used up, don’t discard juice! It is awesome!
What you need
- Your favorite bread
- candied jalapenos
How to make them
- Add brine to store bought or homemade mayonnaise.
- Mix well.
- Slather bread with the mayonnaise mixture on one side of each piece of bread.
- Add cheese to the side of the bread that has no mayonnaise.
- Cover with the other slice of bread, with the mayonnaise facing out.
You can cook the sandwiches in a pan on the stove or in the air fryer until bread is golden brown and cheese is nicely melted. See this recipe for air frying directions.
Types of cheeses to use
Many cheeses are delicious in grilled cheese sandwiches. Some great combination are;
- cheddar (use mild for melting and a little sharp for flavor)
- Monterey jack
- blue cheese
Variations of this grilled cheese
- Add crispy bacon
- Grilled ham and cheese
- tuna melt
- Add chopped green onion or chives
- Add sliced fresh tomatoes
Pro tips for your success
- Use the best quality bread you can find.
- For any of the hard cheeses, grate the cheese rather slicing it. It will melt more evenly.
- Mix cheeses for more rounded flavor.
- Mayonnaise makes a better, crispier crust than butter.
- You can add a pat of butter to your pan for a more buttery flavor.
- Chop jalapenos or use sliced ones right from the jar.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches! It couldn’t be easier and it’s a great way to jazz up a boring grilled cheese sandwich!
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays. Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
For all of my favorite tools for cooking and gift ideas, see my New Amazon Store
I hope you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. This helps us to bring you more great free recipes! Thank you! See FTC Disclosure, here.
Candied Jalapeno Grilled Cheese Sandwich
For Candied Jalapéno Aioli
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, homemade or store bought
- 2 tsp brine from jar of candied jalapenos
- 8 pieces bread
- 1/4 lb cheese of your choice see article above for cheese suggestions
- candied jalapeno slices
- Mix ingredients together for aioli.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with a little aioli.
- Place in frying pan or griddle aioli side down. Then build sandwich with cheese, meat if you choose, and as many candied jalapénos as you like. Top with the second slice of bread basted with the aioli, (aioli side up).
- Once the first side is golden brown, flip and brown the second side. Serve hot.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.