How to Cook Pumpkin? Learn the easiest way to cook pumpkin with this easy, step by step tutorial. Roasting the pumpkin brings out it’s natural sweetness!
Cooking pumpkin is so easy! Ditch the canned stuff and make your own! No added ingredients that you can’t pronounce. One ingredient, pure, unadulerated pumpkin!
Pumpkins are native to North America, according to this article, from HSG Purchasing. Pumpkin is now grown throughout the Americas, most ripening in September and October, in the Northeast.
Want to learn more about growing your own pumpkins? See, these posts, which are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
How to store cooked pumpkin
Cooked pumpkin can be canned in a pressure canner. It can be stored in freezer bags and frozen. Store it 2 cup packages, as most recipes call for 2 cups. When ready to use, thaw overnight, in the refrigerator and then use it in all of your favorite recipes.
How to cook pumpkin
- Remove stem from pumpkin. Cut pumpkin in half.
- Scoop out seeds. Save seeds to make Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.
- Place sliced pumpkin, skin side up on rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast for 30-60 minutes, depending on the size of the pumpkin. Prick with a fork. When soft, pumpkin is done.
Scoop out pumpkin meat, after cooling. Measure and place in freezer bags. Freeze until ready to use.
What to make with pumpkin puree?
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I use
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Easy peasey. That’s how to cook pumpkin. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
How to Cook Pumpkin
- 1 pumpkin medium pie pumpkin size
- Remove stem.
- Cut pumpkin in half.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet, cut side down.
- Roast in 350°F oven for 30-45 minutes, depending on size of pumpkin. Test with fork, if pumpkin meat is soft. Pumpkin is done.
- Allow to cool. Scoop out flesh with spoon.
- Store 2 cups in freezer bags.
- cheese sauces
- chilies or bolognese
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.