This Butternut Squash Soup, Vegan version is also Gluten and lactose free! The apple adds a wonderful brightness and the coconut milk makes it so deliciously creamy!
This a redo of a post we did very early on in the life of BCC, in January 2014. It was badly in need of new photographs and certainly timely! I hope you enjoy!
This is an absolutely yummy lactose and gluten free take on traditional butternut soup! Nothing better on the cold winter days of upstate New York!
The apple and coconut add such a great depth of flavor! I’ve been toying recently with making some of my favorite traditional dishes gluten and lactose free. It turns out to be so much easier than it was in the past! There are so many new products available! I even found cashew milk at the grocery store the other day. I can’t wait to try that!
This recipe is so easy! It can easily be done in 30 minutes! If you would like to, you can roast the squash in the oven whole, to get that roasted flavor. It’s less hands on time, as the oven will do the work. If you roast it, it will take about 50 minutes.
How to make Butternut Squash Soup, vegan version
- 1. Scrape the seeds out of the squash. Peel. Slice each half. Dice into 1-2″ pieces.
2. Core 1 sour apple. Dice apple, onion and celery.
3. I brown the butternut, over high heat, just until they get a bit of color, I love my enameled cast iron braising pan.
4. Then add onion, celery, apple and sage and saute a few minutes.
5. When the onion and apple start to soften, add the coconut milk and stock. Simmer for 20, or so until squash and vegetables are done.
6. I had to transfer pots, because the other one was too small, lol. Here is the squash softened.
7. Use immersion blender to puree the soup. I got this immersion blender from my MIL. (I believe I’ve gotten a lot of my really cool kitchen tools when someone else, who never used them, proffered them to me.) This one is super handy. It saves a lot of time and dirty dishes. Transferring to a blender or food processor… Blah, Blah, Blah! Very fun and easy this way! If you don’t own an immersion blender, I am sorry, you’ll have to do the extra dishes!
Other delicious soups
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
This is so smooth and creamy! The flavor combination is irresistible! We like it with grilled cheese. Yum! I hope you like the recipe today for Butternut Squash Soup, Vegan version! Don’t forget to sign up for our mailing list. The form is below recipe! As always,
Due to my background in horticulture, I had several readers request a tutorial on Vegetable Gardening. So if you have interest in the subject, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden!
Second is Preparing the Garden Site.
The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden.
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Tools I use to make it
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Butternut Squash, Apple, Coconut Soup
- Cut squash into small pieces. Saute in olive oil for about 5 minutes, turning often.
- Dice onion and celery. Add onion and celery to butternut and saute a few more minutes until soft.
- Core apple and cut into small pieces. Add apple and sage to squash and vegetables and saute a few minutes more.
- Cover with the coconut milk and about 4 1/2 cups of stock (depends on how thick you want your soup) and cook about 30 minutes until squash is tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Add more warm stock as needed to thin to desired consistency. Makes 8 cups of thick soup. More if you like it thinner. Freezes very well.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches are a great to serve with this soup.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 1/24/2015