This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is also gluten and lactose free! The apple adds a wonderful brightness and the coconut milk makes it so deliciously creamy!
The other wonderful features of this recipe are that it is incredibly easy to make and freezes beautifully! Make a big batch this fall and enjoy it all winter long.
This is an absolutely yummy lactose and gluten free take on traditional butternut soup! Nothing better on the cold winter days of upstate New York!
The apple and coconut add such a great depth of flavor! I’ve been toying recently with making some of my favorite traditional dishes gluten and lactose free. It turns out to be so much easier than it was in the past! There are so many new products available!
This recipe is so easy! It can easily be done in 30 minutes! If you would like to, you can roast the squash in the oven whole, to get that roasted flavor. It’s less hands on time, as the oven will do the work. If you roast it, it will take about 50 minutes.
What you need
- butternut squash
- coconut milk
- vegetable stock
- fresh or dried sage
- salt and pepper
How to make Butternut Squash Soup, vegan version
- Cut butternut in half. Scoop out seeds. Chop into medium chunks.
- Rough chop apple, celery and onion.
- I brown the butternut, over high heat, just until they get a bit of color, but you could skip this step.
- Then add onion, celery, apple and sage and saute a few minutes.
- When the onion and apple start to soften, add the coconut milk and stock. Simmer for 20, or so until squash and vegetables are done.
- I had to transfer pots, because the other one was too small, lol. Here is the squash softened.
- Use immersion blender to puree the soup or transfer batches to blender.
Did you know that growing your own butternut is incredibly easy? If you love growing your own produce, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss our How to Start a Garden Series!
Other delicious soups
- Yellow Squash Soup
- Venison Soup
- Mexican Turkey Soup
- Asparagus Soup
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Easy Clam Chowder
This is so smooth and creamy! We like it with grilled cheese. Yum! I hope you like the recipe today for Vegan Butternut Squash Soup! Don’t forget to sign up for our mailing list. The form is below recipe! As always,
Tools I use to make it
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays. Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. This helps us to bring you more great free recipes! Thank you! See FTC Disclosure, here.
Butternut Squash, Apple, Coconut Soup
- Cut squash into small pieces. Saute in olive oil for about 5 minutes, turning often.
- Dice onion and celery. Add onion and celery to butternut and saute a few more minutes until soft.
- Core apple and cut into small pieces. Add apple and sage to squash and vegetables and saute a few minutes more.
- Cover with the coconut milk and about 4 1/2 cups of stock (depends on how thick you want your soup) and cook about 30 minutes until squash is tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Add more warm stock as needed to thin to desired consistency. Makes 8 cups of thick soup. More if you like it thinner. Freezes very well.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches are a great to serve with this soup.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 1/24/2015 Updated 9/15/20