This Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is also gluten and lactose free! Step by step directions for stovetop, in your instant pot and in a crockpot.
The other wonderful features of this recipe are that it is incredibly easy to make and freezes beautifully! Make a big batch this fall and enjoy it all winter long.
This is an absolutely yummy dairy-free and gluten-free take on traditional butternut soup! Nothing better on the cold winter days of upstate New York!
This soup can easily be done in 30 minutes! If you would like to, you can roast the squash in the oven whole, to get that roasted flavor. It’s less hands on time, as the oven will do the work. If you roast it, it will take about 50 minutes.
Why this soup works
- creamy and delicious
- It only takes 30 minutes to make on stovetop
- can also be made in the slow cooker
- vegan and gluten free
- high in fiber and vitamins A & C, calcium, magnesium and potassium
- kids love it
What you need
- butternut squash
- full fat coconut milk
- vegetable broth
- fresh or dried sage
- salt and black pepper
How to make it
How to make it on the stovetop
Peel and cut butternut in half. Scoop out seeds. Chop into medium chunks.
Rough chop apple, celery and onion.
I brown the butternut, over high heat, just until they get a bit of color, but you could skip this step. You could also roast it on a baking sheet in a hot oven to brown it.
Then add onion and celery and sauté a few minutes.
Add apple, pepper, salt and sage
When the onion and apple start to soften, add the coconut milk and stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, or so until squash and veggies are done.
Here is the squash softened.
How to make soup in slow cooker
- Peel and cut butternut in half. Scoop out seeds. Chop into medium chunks.
- Rough chop apple, celery and onion.
- Then add squash, onion, celery, apple, pepper, salt and sage to slow cooker.
- When the onion and apple start to soften, add the coconut milk and stock. Cook on low for 6 hours on low or 3 hours on high, or so until squash and vegetables are soft.
- Use immersion blender to puree the soup or transfer batches to blender. Be careful not to overfill blender. The hot soup can cause severe burns.
How to make it your Instant Pot
Peel and cut butternut in half. Scoop out seeds. Chop into medium chunks. Rough chop apple, celery and onion.
Then add squash, onion, celery, apple, pepper, salt and sage to your instant pot.
Almost cover vegetables with vegetable stock or water.
Stir well to combine.
Close lid securely. Turn vent to seal. Select manual and high pressure. Then adjust time to 8 minutes. Use a slow release for about 10 minutes. Then carefully turn the sealing vent to release the rest of the pressure.
Remove lid. Add coconut milk. Puree with immersion blender until very smooth.
Can be pureed in blender in batches. Be careful not to overfill as hot soup can burn you.
Some favorite variations
- substitute cream if you are not worried about the soup being vegan
- mix in ricotta cheese instead of coconut milk.
- add Italian flavorings, such as; basil, oregano, parsley, parmesan, romano or asiago cheese.
- add Thai spices like; hot pepper, garlic, coriander, lemongrass, paprika or basil
- add Mexican spices like: garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder or adobo seasoning
- add fun toppings like; pumpkin kernels or pumpkin seeds, toasted nuts, homemade croutons, cheese, bacon bits or fried crispy onions.
Did you know that growing your own butternut is incredibly easy? If you love growing your own produce, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss our How to Start a Garden Series!
Other delicious soups
What to serve it with?
- grilled cheese sandwiches
- turkey sandwiches
- use as a first course for Thanksgiving or Christmas
- serve with bread for dipping
- a nice green salad
- Top with toasty homemade croutons for a nice crunch
This is so smooth and creamy! We like it with grilled cheese. Yum! I hope you like the recipe today for Vegan Butternut Squash Soup! Don’t forget to sign up for our mailing list. The form is below recipe! As always,
Tools I use to make it
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
Butternut Squash, Apple, Coconut Soup
- Cut squash into small pieces. Saute in olive oil for about 5 minutes, turning often.
- Dice onion and celery. Add onion and celery to butternut and saute a few more minutes until soft.
- Core apple and cut into small pieces. Add apple and sage to squash and vegetables and saute a few minutes more.
- Cover with about 4 1/2 cups of stock (depends on how thick you want your soup).
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cook about 30 minutes until squash and vegetables are tender.
Slow cooker instructions
- Follow about instructions until step 4.
- Slow cook on low for about 6 hours or high for 3 hours until vegetables are tender.
- Resume directions above.
Instant pot instructions
- Follow about instructions until step 4.
- Carefully attach lid. Turn vent sealing lever to seal.
- Set instant pot to Manual mode. Adjust pressure to high pressure. Adjust time to 8 minutes.
- Once cycle is complete, allow slow release for about 10 minutes. Then turn vent lever to release to release the rest of the pressure.
To finish soup *all 3 methods*
- Add coconut milk. Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Add more warm stock as needed to thin to desired consistency. Makes 8 cups of thick soup. More if you like it thinner. Freezes very well.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 1/24/2015 Updated 6/28/2022