This Horseradish Crusted Beef Filet is super tender because the butter bastes the beef. Easy, elegant and delicious! Perfect for entertaining or date night!
Which cuts of beef to use
For this recipe it is best to use a very tender cut of beef. Cuts that work well are filet mignon steaks, strip loin steak, Porterhouse, delmonico, or t-bone. If you’re in California, use tri-tips. Sirloin steaks are too iffy of a cut, sometimes it is very tender and others it is not.
What you need
- bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
How to make it
- Add all ingredients a bowl.
- Mash together with the back of spoon until well incorporated.
- Place crust on sheet of aluminum foil.
- Close into a package, with edges well sealed.
- Roll crust out thin with rolling pin. Freeze for at least 20 minutes.
- Choose high quality, grass fed beef, like this beef from Butcherbox . Allow beef to come to room temperature while crust is freezing.
- Unroll crust.
- Cut into rounds or break off pieces.
- Broil filet for about 4-6 minutes. Until it registers about 85°F.
- Flip steaks over and apply crust. Broil another 7-8 minutes until crust is golden and beef registers 125°F, for medium rare. Rest for 5 minutes.
It’s important to let the beef come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes. It’s also very important to let the beef rest for at least 5 minutes.
Cooking times are based on 6 ounce filets and will vary, depending on the size of yours.
These crusted Beef Filets are phenomenal! They are tender and have just right bite of horseradish and of course the bacon. Isn’t bacon it’s own food group?
Active time is about 30 minutes and they are elegant enough to make for company, but easy enough for any night!
What to serve with Horseradish crusted beef
- Brown sugar glazed carrots
- Green beans almondine
- Beet puree
- Casserole Marie Blanche
- Cauliflower au gratin
- Scalloped potatoes
Other recipes to impress your guests
- Oysters Rockefeller
- Salmon Wellington
- Lamb Loin
- Venison Wellington
- Horseradish stuffed grouper
- Beef Strip Loin Roast
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below! I would love to hear from you!
Also, don’t forget to FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!
That’s how easy it is to make this horseradish crusted beef filet. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Horseradish Crusted Beef Filet
- 3 slices Bacon crisped and chopped finely
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 c fresh bread crumbs
- 3-4 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Beef Filet or similar tender Beef Cut
- Soften butter to room temperature
- Mix bread crumbs, bacon bits, horseradish, garlic, spices and butter together very well.
- Roll out crust between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or aluminum foil to about 1/8" thick. Freeze at least 20 minutes.
- Turn broiler on high.
- Cut frozen crust into pieces that are approximately the same size as the beef.
- Grill filet over high heat until internal temperature is about 10 degrees less than you prefer them done. Or broil filet for 4-6 minutes on high. Internal temperature should be about 85°F. Flip filets over.
- Top beef with the crust and broil until browned. Just about 5-8 minutes. Watch them carefully so they do not burn. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
Originally Published 5/28/2016
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
The presentation is so beautiful! Perfect dish for impressing guests!
Thanks so much Rachel! I appreciate the comment!
This looks outstanding! My husband won’t know what hit him when I make this 😉 Thanks for such a yummy recipe!
Thanks Kelli! You are very welcome!
What a fabulous recipe! This is perfect for entertaining and so easy to make. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much Angela! I’m so glad you liked it!
This sounds so delicious and just cant wait to try it soon.
Thank you Veena! I hope you enjoy it!
This was such a great way to use horseradish! Yum, thanks!
Thank you Noelle! We adore our horseradish around here and this doesn’t disappoint!
This looks outstanding Beth! I want to make asap!!
It is so delish! Thanks my friend! Hope you enjoy!
My family loves horseradish, so I can’t wait to make this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!
Thanks Jessica! Let me know how they like it!
This horseradish crusted filet is sure to impress any guest with flavor and looks making it the perfect dinner to share with friends.
Yes, friends will definitely devour it! Thanks Kelly!
Such a unique way to cook beef. I love that crust and will definitely want to use it in other ways.
We’ve use it on salmon and it equally delicious! Thanks Anita!
This is such a creative way to use horseradish. My father adores it. He would devour this crusted beef in no time.
We love it too! Thanks so much Iryna!
This looks like a must-try recipe for me. So pretty on the plate too!
Thanks Jill! It’s one of our favorites!
How cool! I haven’t even attempted to figure out how to do anything but watch videos on YouTube lol. That’s so fun!
My 25 year old talked me into doing my first one in January. I have to admit, it is more fun than I anticipated!