First lady, Jackie Kennedy is reported to have served this easy, delicious Casserole Marie Blanche, during the time she lived in the White House.
History of Casserole Marie Blanche
My Mom made this easy, tasty side dish at least once or twice a year. It pairs greatly with fresh pork, ham and poultry. I have never paired it with beef but can’t imagine it would not pair well. When I asked my Mom if she still had the recipe, she couldn’t find it.
I knew the basic recipe, but could never find a reference for it online.
We both remembered the name and several times over the last 5 or 6 years, I have Googled it to no avail! Then last year I hit the jackpot! The original name, apparently was Mrs. John F, Kennedy’s Casserole Marie Blanche!
It’s funny, you know Google, Mrs. Smith is the contributor on one site. Mrs. Fowler and family on another. Then, of the ones that actually attribute it to Jackie Kennedy, one says she served it at a dinner for her sister and brother-in-law, Princess and Prince Radziwell. Who knows, but it is good!! What the real story is, the world may never know!
What you need
- egg noodles
- sour cream
- cottage cheese
- salt and pepper
How to Make Casserole Marie Blanche
- Boil egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
I can tell you with a great amount of certainty that Mrs. JFK did not eat this on a daily basis, or she would have looked like a house!! Not health food but sometimes even First Ladies need to splurge!
Dot top with small pieces butter. Bake at 350°F until the top is lightly brown and everything is bubbly! Serve immediately. This is definitely best served immediately. Leftovers tend to be a bit dry.
Other Vintage Recipes on BCC
Vintage recipes are fun, aren’t they? I love finding the history of the foods we eat!
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I Use to Make Casserole Marie Blanche
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Mrs. John F. Kennedy’s Casserole Marie Blanche
- 1 ½ pound cooked drained noodles (original recipe : see important notes below!)
- 1 c cream style cottage cheese (original recipe : see important notes below!)
- 1 c sour cream (original recipe : see important notes below!)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1/3 c chopped chives
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F Combine noodles, cottage cheese, sour cream. salt, pepper and chives. Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole and dot with the 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until noodles begin to brown and casserole is hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.
- See notes below for important notes. I increase the cheese and sour cream and decrease the noodles!
Originally Pulished 10/19/2016