First lady, Jackie Kennedy is reported to have served this easy, delicious Casserole Marie Blanche, during the time she lived in the White House.
History of Casserole Marie Blanche
My Mom made this easy, tasty side dish at least once or twice a year. When I asked my Mom if she still had the recipe, she couldn’t find it.
I knew the basic recipe, but could never find a reference for it online.
Most attribute it to Jacqueline Kennedy, one says she served it at a private dinner for her brother-in-law and sister, Prince and Princess Radziwill in 1961.
Who knows, but it is good!! What the real story is, the world may never know!
What you need
- egg noodles – cooked in water or broth, according to package directions
- sour cream
- cottage cheese – 1 container
- salt and white pepper or black pepper
- fresh chives – snipped
How to Make Casserole Marie Blanche
- Boil egg noodles over medium heat according to the package directions. Drain.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
You can mix it in the casserole that you will bake it in, or add to a large bowl combine noodles with the remaining ingredients. The pour the mixture into the casserole.
Dot top with small pieces butter. Bake at 350°F until the top is golden brown and everything is bubbly! Serve immediately. This is definitely best served immediately. Leftovers tend to be a bit dry.
Optional ingredients and substitutions
- sauté onion and substitute for chives
- add broccoli, asparagus or other green vegetables
- sauté mushrooms and add to the mixture
- cook noodles in chicken stock for extra flavor
- add garlic powder or onion powder
- sprinkle top with paprika just before serving
What main dishes to serve with casserole Marie Blanche
Other Vintage Recipes on BCC
This vintage casserole Marie Blanche has a creamy, comforting taste
Vintage recipes are fun, aren’t they? I love finding the history of the foods we eat!
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I Use to Make Casserole Marie Blanche
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
Mrs. John F. Kennedy’s Casserole Marie Blanche
- 1 ½ pound cooked drained noodles (original recipe : see important notes below!)
- 1 cup cream style cottage cheese (original recipe : see important notes below!)
- 1 cup sour cream (original recipe : see important notes below!)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/3 cup chive snipped or chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F Combine noodles, cottage cheese, sour cream. salt, pepper and chives. Pour into buttered 2 quart casserole and dot with the 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until noodles begin to brown and casserole is hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.
- See notes below for important notes. I increase the cheese and sour cream and decrease the noodles!
Originally Pulished 10/19/2016