Sweet Pepper Relish is a delicious condiment and a great use for all of your bell peppers at the end of the season! Sweet Pepper relish is easy to can!
This Sweet Pepper Relish is a companion article for my Hot Pepper Relish. This recipe is a perfect alternative for those who do not like spicy food.
What you need peppers
- sweet peppers – use green, yellow, orange or red bell peppers, banana peppers and the like.
- hot peppers – use jalapeno, habanero or any other you have on hand.
- dry mustard
- black pepper
- celery seed
How to make it
- Wash peppers. Halve them and remove most of the seeds and ribs. Wear latex or rubber gloves for the hot peppers. Very important! If you don’t, you will have to wash your hands 100 times to get all of the pepper oils off your hands! Don’t touch eyes or any mucus membrane! Halve them and remove most of the seeds and ribs. You can technically leave them in if you want the heat level nuclear!
- Chop up all of the peppers into small pieces. I use the food processor and just pulsed until they were the size I wanted. Don’t go too fine or they will turn into mush.
- Peel and chop up the onions fine. I use the food processor and just pulsed until they were the size I wanted.
- Add the vinegar, spices, salt and sugar.
- Mix and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Then reduce heat medium-high or medium heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to remove any excess water.
- Pack in pint jars, leaving ½ inch headspace.
- Wipe rims of jars with damp paper towel. Remove any air bubbles.
- Apply lid.
- Screw on band fingertip tight. Place the jars in a water bath canner.
- Process for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. (see recipe below for altitude adjustment)
How to use it
- Use it on eggs for breakfast.
- Add it to mayonnaise or ketchup for a different, new condiment.
- Serve it on top of crackers and cream cheese for a different appetizer or mix the cream cheese with a couple tablespoon of relish for a fun dip for crackers or chips.
- Add it to soups or chili for a pop of flavor.
- Glaze pork or chicken.
- Give it as holiday or hostess gifts.
Don’t forget to check out the Nuclear Jalapeño Pepper Relish too!
Due to my background in horticulture, I had several readers request a tutorial on Vegetable Gardening. So if you have interest in the subject, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season!
Don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden!
Second one is Preparing the Garden Site.
The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden.
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Sweet Pepper Relish
- 6 cups sweet peppers, bells, bananas, etc. chopped fine in food processor
- 3 jalapeños or other hot pepper, habanero, serrano, etc. chopped fine in food processor
- 2 cups onion, chopped fine in food processor
- 1.5 cups cider vinegar
- 1.5 cups Sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1.5 teaspoon celery seed
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until thickened, the consistency of pickle relish.
- Process in hot jars for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. For the method for canning, see this recipe