My big sons’ review of this recipe is that it the best thing I have ever made!! 🙂 He’s so complimentary! Well, I don’t know about that, but it sure is very tasty! If you are not a huge fan of spicy heat, the Hot Pepper Relish is NOT for you! It is hot! Go for the sweet pepper relish, instead! It is very mild, containing only a few jalapeños.
At the end of the season, I always have bushels of peppers left! I had to come up with something that used up a lot of peppers! I have been making different relishes for ages, including, cucumber and zucchini, so I thought I would try a relish with peppers. This relish does not disappoint! Honestly, you can’t have too many condiments, in my book. It takes a same old, same old boring meal to all new realms! Perfect!
- Wash peppers. Wear gloves!! Very important! If you don’t, you will have to wash your hands 100 times to get all of the pepper oils off your hands! Don’t touch eyes or any mucus membrane! Halve them and remove most of the seeds and ribs. You can technically leave them in if you want the heat level nuclear!
- Chop up all of the peppers into fine pieces! (This photo is from the Sweet Pepper Relish)
- Chop up the onions fine. I used the food processor and just pulsed until they were the size I wanted.
- Add the vinegar, spices, salt and sugar.
- Mix and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Then reduce heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pack in jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude!
- You can adjust the level of heat in this relish by the number of hot peppers included in the mix. If you like medium or hot salsas, add 2 more jalapeños for every degree of heat you would like to increase. I would call this Hot Pepper Relish Xtra hot.
As always, when making salsas or hot sauces, err on the side of caution. You can always add more but you can’t take it away! Always taste for heat before canning any sauces, bearing in mind that as it sits, it will gain heat, not lose it.
Hope you enjoyed the recipe today for pepper relish! Give it a try next month when you have peppers coming out of your ears!! If you like this easy condiment, you have to give my Oscar Relish a try! It is one of my favorites! The recipe for Sweet Pepper Relish is here!
Due to my background in horticulture, I had several readers request a tutorial on Vegetable Gardening. So if you have interest in the subject, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Nuclear Jalapeño Hot Pepper Relish
- 5.5 cups peppers, stems removed, chopped fine in food processor
- .5 cups jalapenos Use all hot peppers for hot relish
- 2 cups onion, chopped fine in food processor
- 1.5 cups vinegar
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1.5 tsp celery seed
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until thickened, the consistency of pickle relish.
- Process in hot jars for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. For the method for canning, see this recipe
- Sweet Pepper Relish If you are making hot Pepper Relish, use all hot peppers!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.