Cinco de Mayo is here once again! Yay! These Easy Chicken Enchiladas are just what you need to celebrate the day!! These Easy Chicken Enchiladas are made with Authentic Red Enchilada Sauce, made with dried peppers as the major ingredient! So much more flavorful than those are mostly tomato based!!
To be perfectly honest, Cinco de Mayo is one of my favorite holidays. Why, you ask? We don’t usually have a party, or anything. We aren’t even Hispanic! I’ll tell you why, my friends. I am a Mexican food addict! Ok, there, I admitted it! 🙂
The thing we always do on Cinco de Mayo is make a delicious Mexican treat! I mean, I love it all! Enchiladas, tacos, burritos, salsas, (I’m dying to make a mole sauce! I had duck mole tacos when we visited Santa Catalina Island and they were to die for!) So to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I made these easy, authetic Chicken Enchiladas!
How to Make Easy Chicken Enchiladas
I usually use a whole frying chicken, because they are so economical. The other added bonus is that I end up with lots of fresh chicken broth, that I can freeze for a later use. You could absolutely substitute a rotisserie chicken, to save yourself time.
Use this Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe to take your enchiladas to the next flavor level! It makes all of the difference in the world! What are you doing for Cinco de Mayo? Parties, bars, or just relaxing at home and making some great Mexican food? Let me know in the comments below!!
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups shredded or cubed chicken pieces or substitute rotisserie chicken
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or use garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 24 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- for garnish, avocado slices, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, Queso fresco, salsa of your choice
- 2-3 cups red sauce, recipe below. Store bought can be substituted for homemade
- Mix chicken, chilies, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil over fairly high heat in a small frying pan,
- Add one tortilla at a time to soften. Just a few seconds on the first side, until tortilla bubbles. Then flip on the other side for a few seconds. Drain between paper towels.
To assemble enchiladas
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place a few tablespoons of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- Dip enchilada in enchilada sauce, one at a time. Fill with 2 tbsp. of filling, on the bottom third of the tortilla. Roll tightly. Place slit side down on the baking pan,Roll all enchiladas. If you have additional filling it can be saved in the freezer, or use for tacos.
- Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce, depending on how wet you like them. Cover pan with foil and bake approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Remove lid, top with shredded cheese. Return to oven to melt cheese.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Recipe for Enchilada Sauce
CARING IS SHARING
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later, share it on Facebook, tweet about it and Yum it to Yummly! I greatly appreciate it!! Tag me @binkysculinarycarnival or #binkysculinarycarnival!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.