This Roasted Garlic -Citrus Stuffed Rainbow Trout is delicious, juicy and is melt in your mouth tender!
This past weekend we visited a small fish monger in the city that a friend told us about. It’s very strange that we hadn’t heard of him before for several reasons. One, he has been there for eons and second he is Greek and we know half of the Greek restaraunt owners in town! Anyway, Eric and I were like kids in a candy shop!
The shop actually serves lunches and dinners and there were 2 Rochester city police officers there, so I told Eric, his food must be good! We had looked at the menu online and Eric saw the smelt. So, of course, Eric’s first question was “Are the smelt from Canada?” The answer came back affirmative, so that was the first thing he ordered. Unfortunately, the only way you can get those is pre-breaded. The frozen ones are the Peruvian ones that we have found around town. They do not even compare. They are a different species and much larger.
We went rather crazy and bought dry- aged scallops, grouper, (we made this Bacon Horseradish Crusted Grouper) haddock and these gorgeous rainbow trout!
I roasted up 4 whole heads of garlic to stuff these with. Lemon and lime slices added a wonderful citrus flavor! Dill just rounded out the flavors! We also found gorgeous Beech and Royal mushrooms from Wegman’s and the flavor of those roasted with the asparagus was exquisite!
This recipe is so simple, gluten free and couldn’t be tastier! If you have the oppurtunity to buy rainbow trout, seize it, immediately! They can be found whole or with the heads removed. If you want them too, the fish monger will remove the head for you. Although, if you keep the heads, they make great fish stock to be used in other dishes!
As always, thanks for stopping and reading! I enjoy your comments, so please leave one below! Help us out by sharing this post to your social media! Hope you enjoy this delicious dish! Have fun Cooking!
Garlic - Citrus Stuffed Whole Rainbow Trout
- 2 Rainbow trout
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- 1 lime, sliced thin
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tsp olive oil or butter
- Roast garlic. Cut tip off of garlic head. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil. Roast at 400°F for approximately 45 minutes. Can be done ahead and frozen for up six months. Remove from freezer, thaw and use as you would fresh.
- Squeeze garlic from heads into a small bowl. Mix with dill. Spread garlic / dill mixture on the inside of the trout on both fillets.
- Coat a large non stick skillet with olive oil. Brown lemon and lime slices until golden. Then stuff them into the trout cavity.
- Add more olive oil to pan and brown trout on both sides over medium high heat. About 5 minutes per side, until golden brown. Serve immediately.