These Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are a fast and easy weeknight dinner for the family when you’ve had a long day. Cook chicken from fresh or frozen!
I have come to love my instant pot. Perhaps my favorite kitchen tool now. It is such a God send when you work your tail off all day and are too tired to make a fresh homemade meal. IP to the rescue! You can even make these chicken tacos from frozen chicken breasts. What could be easier?
What you need for chicken
- fresh or frozen chicken breast
- small can of diced or crushed tomatoes
- taco seasoning (make your own. It’s cheaper)
- salt and pepper
What you need for tacos
- corn tortillas
- optional toppings (see toppings section below)
How to make them
- Salt and pepper chicken on both sides. Add to instant pot.
- Sprinkle chicken liberally with taco seasoning.
- Measure tomatoes and add enough water to make two cups of liquid.
- Add to pot.
Secure the lid. Set cooker to high pressure manual cook for the correct amount of time. (See graph below for time, depending on the size of your chicken breast.) Let pressure release naturally for 10 to 12 minutes, until the pressure indicator goes back down. Carefully open lid. Keep your face and hands away so that you don’t get burned with the steam.
Let chicken cool slightly then shred it with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to pot to keep warm.
In the meantime, soften tortillas in the microwave or in a small pan with shallow oil on high heat on the stovetop.
Assemble tacos with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and any additional toppings you would like.
SIZE MATTERS WHEN PRESSURE COOKING
The size of your breasts is important. Larger breasts will take longer to cook through than smaller ones.
Weigh them with a kitchen scale or approximate on the size by taking the weight from your package and dividing by the number of breasts in your package.
I buy halal breasts from our local restaurant store. They weigh 15-19 oz. each and take 25-30 minutes to cook. So if yours are larger than 12 oz. add some time.
These are the estimated times for cooking boneless skinless breasts.
Pro tip: Prepare any toppings that you want for your tacos while chicken is cooking to save time.
Optional toppings for tacos
- chopped fresh or pickled onions
- queso fresco or cotija cheese
- cilantro or parsley
- sour cream or creme fraiche
- fresh or pickled hot peppers
- your favorite salsa
Why you should make these Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Incredibly easy.
- Less than 30 minutes total time to have dinner on the table.
- Can be made from frozen chicken breasts.
- Only a few ingredients.
- The whole family will love them.
Pro tips for your success
- Cook breasts for the proper amount of time. (See infographic above)
- Let instant pot naturally release pressure.
- Add enough liquid to tomatoes to make 2 cups.
- Shred into small pieces.
- Add chicken back to instant pot to keep it extra moist.
What else you can make with leftover chicken
- chicken nachos
- add it to a fresh salad
More easy Instant pot recipes
Tools I use
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays. Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below. I would love to hear from you!
For all of my favorite tools for cooking and gift ideas, see my New Amazon Store
I hope you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. This helps us to bring you more great free recipes! Thank you! See FTC Disclosure, here.
Instant pot Chicken Tacos
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts see notes
- 1 can Diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 3 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 8 corn tortillas
- Diced tomatoes
- shredded lettuce
- grated cheese
- Salt and pepper both sides of chicken.
- Measure tomatoes. Add enough water to make at least one cup.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning on top of chicken.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook. (Use time below in notes, depending on the size of your breasts)
- Cook for allotted time. Let the instant pot naturally release for 10 minutes. Carefully remove lid to evacuate remaining pressure. Let cool slightly. Shred with two forks.
- Add shredded chicken back to pot to keep warm.
- Heat tortillas in microwave, between damp paper towel, or shallow fry tortillas in hot oil until desired crispness.
- Assemble tacos with chicken, lettuce, tomato and grated cheese. Add any additional toppings you like. See suggested toppings in notes below.
Originally published 5/4/2021