Air fryer taquitos or flautas can be made in less than 10 minutes from frozen. Easy snack, appetizer or dinner with some Mexican sides.
If you need an incredibly easy meal, these taquitos or flautas can be made from from scratch in just a few more minutes using rotisserie chicken, leftover pulled chicken or pulled pork. Browned ground beef is also a great bet. They can also be made with beans and cheese in the same amount of time.
What’s the difference between taquitos and flautas?
The difference is all in the tortilla. Taquitos are made with rolled corn tortillas. Flautas are made with flour tortillas. Both are stuffed with a variety of fillings. Beans, meats, peppers, even sweet ingredients like apples and cinnamon.
Technically the “taquitos” pictured below are flautas. They are made with flour tortillas.
They are then rolled and baked, fried, deep fried or air fried until they achieve a beautiful crispness.
They’re great for snacks, appetizers, game day or even for an easy, quick dinner with some rice and beans.
What to serve with air fryer taquitos
Serve taquitos or flautas with dipping sauces and dips like guacamole, frijoles (refried beans), salsas, or this chipotle aioli.
Taquitos are great to serve with fun toppings too. Chopped onion, lettuce, chopped tomatoes, black olives, sour cream or Mexican crema, cotija or queso fresco cheese, fresh or pickled jalapeños and pickled onions.
Salsas to serve with them
What you need
- fresh or frozen taquitos or flautas
- cooking spray
How to make them
- Preheat air fryer to 350° F/ 180°C for 3-5 minutes.
- Spray fresh or frozen taquitos with cooking spray.
- Load into basket. Leave room between them.
- Air fry for about 6 minutes until golden brown and crisped to your liking. Usually no need to flip them over. If you think you have to, carefully flip with tongs.
NOTE: Different air fryers cook at different wattages and times will vary. If it is the first time you are making any recipe in your air fryer, watch carefully so that they don’t burn.
Can you make taquitos in your oven?
Yes you can. Heat your oven to 375°F / 190°C. Place fresh or frozen taquitos on rimmed baking sheet. Bake from fresh 15-20 minutes and from frozen 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crisped to your liking.
How to crisp taquitos on the stovetop
To heat taquitos on your stovetop. Add shallow oil to small frying pan. Heat over high heat. Place taquitos in seam side down. Brown and then turn with tongs. Brown the second side. Drain on paper towels.
Caution! If you are cooking frozen taquitos on the stovetop in oil, place them in very carefully, one at a time and stand back. Wait for oil to finish splattering before adding more.
Pro tip: I usually let frozen taquitos sit out on the counter for a few minutes so that they have no frost on the outside.
You can heat taquitos in your microwave as well, but they will not be crispy. Leftover taquitos can be reheated in the microwave.
Why you should make these easy taquitos
- Perfect for a quick snack for the kids.
- Less than 10 minutes from frozen.
- Makes an incredibly easy dinner for busy weeknights with a few side dishes.
- Can be made with homemade or commercially frozen taquitos.
- cheese – some good choices are Monterey Jack cheese, cheddar cheese, queso fresco, cotija
- green chiles – or sliced jalapeno, candied jalapeno, pickled peppers
- sour cream or Mexican creme
- bean dips or refried beans
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- sliced green onion or chives
Other delicious Mexican recipes
More air fryer recipes
Tools I use
That is how incredibly easy to make air fryer taquitos. Give them a try today, you will be happy you did!
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
Air fryer Taquitos (or Flautas)
- 8 taquitos homemade or store bought
- cooking spray
- Preheat air fryer for 3-5 minutes to 350°F / 180°C.
- Spray taquitos with cooking spray lightly.8 taquitos, cooking spray
- Arrange on air fryer basket so that they don't touch.
- Air fry for about 6 minutes. Usually no need to flip. (see tips in notes below)