Today we have a new YouTube video up! How to make Pork Carnitas Taquitos! These little crumplets are essentially Pulled Pork with Mexican spices on a rolled Taco! You are going to love this one!!
If you have ever visited our little blog before, you will be aware of the fact that my family and are addicted to Mexican food! We could eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It just doesn’t matter what time of day it is, we are in!
Honestly, there is nothing not to like! You get to eat beans which are a great, low calorie source of protein and fiber. We always serve Mexican food with lots of veggies, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage, onion, olives amoung others. You can, at this point totally forget about the cheese you put on tacos, burritos and enchiladas because the vegetables negate the fat and calories associated with the cheese! 🙂
Ok, maybe not but a girl can dream, right?
These “Little Tacos” don’t have any cheese (there is really no reason for them have to cheese! They are so flavorful all by themselves!)
The added other bonus, of course, carnitas taquitos are so very easy! The pork is cooked in a slow cooker. They involve less than 5 minute of prep. Putting the taquitos together takes about 15 minutes. They honestly couldn’t be easier!
So check out the new video for Carnitas Taquitos on YouTube! It’s less than 5 minutes and will explain how to roll them. It’s far easier than trying to describe how to roll them!
See the video here: Pork Carnitas Taquitos
Recipe for Pork Carnitas
Pork Carnitas Taquitos - Pulled Pork “Little Tacos”
Taquitos, or little tacos can be made with just about any protein but these pork carnitas taquitos are special!
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (or 2 1/2 pounds bone-in)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 orange , cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 large onion , diced About 1/2 c.
- 1 Tbsp . granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp . ground cumin
- 30 Corn Tortillas (at least, depending on how much filling you put in each tortilla)
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Salt and pepper liberally. Mix the oregano and the cumin with olive oil and rub all over pork. Place the pork in a slow cooker and top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Squeeze over the juice of the orange and add the two halves. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 hours. Reserve liquid.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over high heat. Press the carnitas into the oil and fry until crusty on one side. I added about 1 cup of the juice and vegetables from the crock pot to moisten.
- Place about 1/2 inch olive oil in a small pan over high heat. Fry tortillas just until they are soft. Remove immediately and drain between paper towels.
- Place a few tablespoons of the filling on one edge of the tortilla. Then roll tightly. (See video for method)
- Bake at 375°F for 10-20 minutes, depending on how you crispy you like them.
- Both the filling and the taquitos freeze well.