This red enchilada sauce is made from fresh ingredients and is perfect with these pork enchiladas!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
This sauce is so easy and delicious! I will never buy canned enchilada sauce again! Give it a try!
Click the link to view video Red Enchilada Sauce
Here, I made Pork Enchiladas with the Red Enchilada Sauce!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipe
- Toast peppers in a dry cast iron pan on both sides, remove and let cool.
- Quarter onion. Peel garlic. Halve tomatoes. Toast the onions, garlic and tomatoes in the same pan.
- Remove to a medium saucepan.
- Once peppers are cool enough to handle. Remove seeds and stem end and place in the saucepan with the onions and tomatoes.
- Add crushed tomatoes , marjoram and oregano. Almost cover the vegetables with water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so until the peppers have reconstituted.
- Place the contents in a blender and cover the blender with a kitchen towel, in case it splatters so you won't get burned. Blend on high at least a minute.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove the solids. Discard the solids.
- Add a few teaspoons of oil to a frying pan and heat over medium high heat. Add the strained sauce and fry for a few minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer at least 30 minutes until sauce has thickened and coats the back of spoon.
- Let the sauce sit at least 2 hours for the flavors to mingle.
- The inspiration for this sauce came from the Mexican Food Journal Link below