This Parsnip Recipe comes together in a matter of minutes! A vegan, healthy, parsnip recipe it’s perfect for a side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas or Hanukkah!
It is so busy hosting a holiday dinner! There is so much to do! Planning, Shopping, Lists, Organization …. not to mention the actual cooking! There is the turkey to cook, the potatoes, the vegetables, the stuffing/ dressing, cranberry sauce, the gravy and of course, the pies!
This is the perfect addition to your recipe line-up! Why? Because, it is ridiculously easy!! Aaaannnddd….. they are gorgeously caramelized!
The odd thing is, I had never tried parsnips before a few years ago! I’m not sure why! There were less options, locally, from the grocery stores, for different vegetables, when I was young! I had never even seen them! Now, one of our local stores, Wegman’s, has such a huge variety of different fruits and vegetables, it’s pretty fun to shop there!
How to make this Parsnip Recipe
- Figure about 1/4-1/2 cup parsnips per person. For the holidays, I would go less than 1/4 cup, because there is always so much to eat.
- Julienne the parsnips.
- Place in saute pan with just a little water. Parboil for about 2 minutes, depending on size of your julienne. Can move to ice bath and stop here, if preparing ahead.
- If preparing ahead, remove from refrigerator to come to room temperature. Or if continuing, dry out pan.
- Add one tablespoon coconut oil to pan.
- Add one tablespoon brown sugar to pan.
- Brown on high heat, until nicely golden brown and caramelized.
That is really how easy it is to make this Caramelized Parsnip Recipe! It literally takes less than 10 minutes, from start to finish and can be started 2-3 days ahead! Then just quickly brown them in a hot pan, the day of.
One of our popular posts that is perfect for the holidays is Spicy Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing!
I hope you enjoyed the Parsnip Recipe today! Leave me a comment below and let me know what your favorite side dish is on the holidays! Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter, below, so that you don’t miss a recipe! Thanks for stopping by!
Due to my background in horticulture, I had several readers request a tutorial on Vegetable Gardening. So if you have interest in the subject, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden!
Second is Preparing the Garden Site.
The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden.
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Parsnip Recipe – Vegan
- Place parsnips in no stick pan with 1/4 cup water. Cover, turn on high. once boiling, Drain water.
- Let the heat from stove dry out pan. (Can be placed in water bath to cool and refrigerated until ready to proceed.)
- Add coconut oil and brown sugar. Saute over high heat until caramelized and tender.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.