Chorizo Huevos Rancheros, literally takes less than 10 minutes! Chorizo Huevos Rancheros is a Cook once, eat twice recipe! Do all the work on day one and enjoy for two days! The first day, you eat Chorizo Tacos.
What is Chorizo?
The primary difference between Spanish and Mexican Chorizo, is that Spanish Chorizo is aged and smoked, whereas Mexican Chorizo is a fresh sausage, reminiscent of fresh Italian sausage.
This delicious meal, Chorizo Huevos Rancheros, literally takes less than 10 minutes because I did all of the prep work yesterday!My last blog post I made Chorizo Tacos and cut up enough of everything to make dinner a second night. If you need some help making chorizo tacos or with the technique, click here.
What do you need?
- tortillas – corn or flour
- chorizo, cooked
- refried beans
How to make it
- Soften tortillas in your preferred method. Here we soften in oil.
- Flip when first side bubbles.
- Cook eggs in your preferred method. See more on this below.
- Spread beans and sprinkle chorizo on drained tortillas.
- Top with eggs.
- Add your favorite toppings.
What kind of eggs can you use?
- over easy
- sunny side up
What toppings are good?
Your favorite taco toppings all work with chorizo huevos rancheros. Such as;
- cheddar, cotija or jack cheese
- black olives
- fresh or pickled onions
- fresh or pickled jalapenos
- hot sauce
- sour cream or Mexican creme
Other dishes with Chorizo on BCC
Tools I Use to Make Chorizo Huevos Rancheros
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Chorizo Huevos Rancheros
- 1 lb fresh chorizo (or substitute ground or shredded beef, pork, turky, venison,fish or seafood sauteed with Mexican spices.)
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-2 cups dices tomatoes
- 1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 12 corn tortillas (get a package of flour tortillas for lunch tomorrow)
- Salsa of your choice
- Frijoles Refritos (Refried beans)
- Any optional toppings you want such as; sourcream, creme fraiche, avocado, black olives, chopped onion, cilantro
- Shred lettuce and cheese, set aside. Dice tomatoes, set aside.
- Remove Chorizo from casing. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottom fry pan. Brown Chorizo in small batches and transfer to a bowl. When all the Chorizo is browned add chopped onion to the same pan and saute until opaque. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned. Add previously browned Chorizo to pan to reheat. Turn pan to low heat.
- Warm frijoles in a microwave safe container for 2-3 minutes.
- Add oil to a small fry pan on high heat. When oil is very hot, place corn tortilla carefully in pan just until first side is softened. Turn. Fry until desired crispness. Repeat, (two per serving) Drain on paper towel and cover with another piece of paper towel to keep warm.
- Spray no- stick in a third small fry pan and heat on medium. Add eggs carefully so the yolks don’t break. Fry eggs either sunnyside up, over easy or poached until desired firmness.
- Assemble Tortillas. Spread beans on two tortillas, Add Chorizo, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa and any optional topping you choose. Serve immediately
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- sliced black olives
- sliced green onion
- sliced avocado
- sliced fresh or pickled jalapenos
- sour cream or creme fraiche
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 10/7/2014