Chorizo huevos rancheros is a popular Mexican breakfast or brunch dish with eggs, chorizo (a spicy pork sausage), and a flavorful tomato-based sauce.
The recipe is typically served on corn tortillas and garnished with fresh cilantro, diced avocado, and crumbled queso fresco (Mexican cheese). It’s a hearty and delicious breakfast that will start your day on the right foot!
Chorizo Huevos Rancheros is a Cook once eat twice recipe! Do all the work on day one and enjoy for two days! On the first day, you eat Chorizo Tacos.
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a sausage that is made with venison, beef, pork, chicken or turkey. Mexican chorizo was transformed from Spanish Chorizo when Spain invaded Mexico.
The primary difference between Spanish and Mexican Chorizo is that Spanish Chorizo is aged and smoked, whereas Mexican Chorizo is a fresh sausage reminiscent of fresh Italian sausage.
This delicious meal, Chorizo Huevos Rancheros, literally takes less than 10 minutes because I did all of the prep work yesterday! In my last blog post, I made Chorizo Tacos and cut up enough of everything to make dinner a second night. If you need some help making chorizo tacos or with the technique, click here.
Why should you make it?
There are several reasons to make chorizo huevos rancheros:
- Delicious flavor: Chorizo huevos rancheros is a flavorful and satisfying breakfast dish that combines spicy chorizo with tangy tomato sauce and rich, creamy eggs.
- Nutritious ingredients: The dish includes several nourishing ingredients, including eggs, tomatoes, and avocado, making it a healthy breakfast option.
- Easy to make: Chorizo huevos rancheros is a simple dish to prepare, making it an excellent option for busy mornings when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen.
- Cultural significance: Huevos rancheros is a classic Mexican breakfast dish. Making it at home is a fun way to connect with Mexican culture and cuisine.
Overall, chorizo huevos rancheros is a tasty and satisfying breakfast that is easy to make and packed with nutritious ingredients, making it an excellent choice if you are looking for a delicious and healthy breakfast, brunch or dinner.
What do you need?
- Corn Tortillas: Corn tortillas serve as the base for the dish, providing a sturdy and slightly crispy foundation. They have a mild corn flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- Eggs: The eggs are a crucial component of huevos rancheros, providing a creamy and protein-rich element. They can be cooked to your preference, whether fried, scrambled, or poached.
- Chorizo: Chorizo is a highly seasoned, spicy pork sausage that adds a robust and savory flavor to the dish. It infuses the entire dish with its distinct smoky and slightly tangy taste.
- Onion and Garlic: These aromatics provide a savory and aromatic base. They add depth and enhance the overall flavor profile of the dish.
- Diced Tomatoes: The diced tomatoes, canned or fresh, form the base of the tomato sauce. They contribute a sweet and tangy flavor, while their natural acidity balances the richness of the chorizo and eggs.
- Ground Cumin: Cumin is a warm, earthy spice commonly used in Mexican cuisine. It adds a distinct flavor and aroma to the dish, complementing the other ingredients and lending a touch of smokiness.
- Salt and Pepper: Use them to enhance the flavors and balance the tomato sauce. Adjust them to your preference.
- Refried beans, black beans, or pinto beans: Add creaminess and extra protein.
- Avocado: Diced avocado provides a creamy and buttery texture to the dish. Its mild flavor helps cool down the spiciness of the chorizo, creating a harmonious balance of flavors.
- Queso Fresco: This crumbly Mexican cheese has a mild and slightly tangy taste. It adds a subtle saltiness and a creamy texture to the dish, beautifully complementing the other ingredients. You can also use cheddar, pepper jack, or Monterey Jack cheese.
- Fresh Cilantro: Cilantro leaves bring a refreshing and herbaceous element to the dish. Their bright and citrusy flavor adds freshness and complements the other robust flavors.
How to make it
Add chorizo to a hot skillet over medium heat. Break it up into small pieces as it browns.
Add the onion and garlic to the meat.
Add diced tomatoes and spices. Cook it until everything is soft and the flavors melded together. About 15 minutes.
Soften tortillas in your preferred method. Here we soften in oil.
Flip when the first side bubbles.
Cook until done to your desired crispiness.
Cook eggs in your preferred manner.
They can be poached, fried, or even scrambled.
Spread the heated beans on your tortillas.
Layer with the meat.
Top that with the cooked eggs. We like fried eggs.
Top with your favorite toppings.
What kind of eggs can you use?
- over easy
- sunny side up
What toppings are good?
Your favorite taco toppings all work with chorizo huevos rancheros. Such as;
- Fresh cilantro leaves: Cilantro adds a bright and fresh flavor and is a traditional garnish for huevos rancheros.
- Diced avocado or guacamole: Avocado adds creaminess and a boost of healthy fats to the dish and pairs perfectly with the spicy chorizo.
- Crumbled queso fresco cheese: This mild, crumbly cheese adds a salty and tangy flavor to the dish and complements the other ingredients nicely. Sprinkle it on in the last layer.
- Sliced jalapeños: Add an extra kick of spice. Use sliced fresh jalapeños or pickled jalapeños.
- Sour cream or Mexican creme: A dollop of sour cream can help balance out the spiciness of the chorizo and add a creamy texture to the dish.
- Salsa, pico de gallo, or hot sauce: A spoonful of your favorite salsa can add even more flavor and give it a bit of extra heat.
- Lettuce: Adds a fresh, crunchy flavor and texture.
- Fresh tomatoes: They add a bit of acid and brightness.
- Fresh or pickled onions: will add extra depth and an earthy flavor.
- Black olives: Can add a bit of bright, briny flavor.
Serve this Huevos Rancheros recipe with Mexican rice.
Other dishes with Chorizo on BCC
- Chorizo tacos
- Steak and chorizo taquitos
- Chicken Chorizo with fried basil
- Queso con Chorizo
- Venison chorizo
Contains affiliate links; for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure here.
Chorizo Huevos Rancheros
- 1 lb fresh chorizo (or substitute ground or shredded beef, pork, turky, venison,fish or seafood sauteed with Mexican spices.)
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 15 ounce diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 12 corn tortillas
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- Salsa of your choice
- Frijoles Refritos (Refried beans)
- Any optional toppings you want such as; sourcream, creme fraiche, avocado, black olives, chopped onion, cilantro
- ½ cup onion chopped
- Shred lettuce and cheese, set aside. Dice tomatoes, set aside.2 cups shredded lettuce, 15 ounce diced tomatoes
- Remove Chorizo from the casing. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottom fry pan. Brown Chorizo in small batches and transfer to a bowl. When all the Chorizo is browned add chopped onion and garlic to the same pan and saute until opaque.1 lb fresh chorizo, 2 cloves garlic, ½ cup onion
- Add previously browned Chorizo to the pan to reheat. Add the can of tomatoes and the spices. Turn the pan to low heat. Cook it down for about 10 minutes.15 ounce diced tomatoes, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander
- Warm the refried beans in a microwave safe container for 2-3 minutes.Frijoles Refritos
- Add oil to a small fry pan on high heat. When oil is very hot, place corn tortilla carefully in pan just until first side is softened. Turn. Fry until desired crispness. Repeat, (two per serving) Drain on paper towel and cover with another piece of paper towel to keep warm.12 corn tortillas
- Spray no- stick in a third small fry pan and heat on medium. Add eggs carefully so the yolks don’t break. Fry eggs either sunnyside up, over easy or poached until desired firmness.12 eggs
- Assemble Tortillas. Spread beans on two tortillas, Add Chorizo, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa and any optional topping you choose. Serve immediately1-2 cups diced tomatoes, 1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese, Salsa of your choice, Any optional toppings you want
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- sliced black olives
- sliced green onion
- sliced avocado
- sliced fresh or pickled jalapenos
- sour cream or creme fraiche
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 10/7/2014
I love that this has chorizo in it. It looks incredible.
Thanks Dannii! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!
Wow, this is a keeper! I love how quick this recipe comes together and the egg with the other ingredients is just the ticket for a great meal. Nice photos, too!
Thank you Sally! Yes, it’s super easy and fresh!
This is a great easy breakfast recipe. The chorizo adds so much flavor. Delicious!
Thanks so much Angela! I’m so glad you liked it!
Jas @ All that's Jas
I’m ok with being lazy every day just to enjoy this yummy meal, Beth! We’re love Latin flavors!
It is truly one of my favorites, so I don’t really care about being lazy, lol! Thanks Jas!
Amazing presentation and delicious combination. So colorful too. Love the leftover idea too.
Thank you Veena! I really appreciate that!
Chicken and chesse are my favourite foods. This dish pairing with white wine could be perfect. Thanks for sharing
This dish is beautiful with a nice Pinot Grigio! Thank you so much for comment, Athalia!
I would definitely say “thrifty” not “lazy” Beth! That’s a great way to maximize the benefit of time spent making great meals 🙂
Thanks Tamara! I’ll go with that then! It definitely sounds better!