Honestly, who doesn’t love pizza? Similarly, who doesn’t love breakfast? Why not marry the two and have Breakfast Pizza for a quick dinner tonight?
We have a local Deli and Convenient Store that has been independently owned for decades. We used to skip class in High School and walk there to get their pizza. Their Breakfast Pizza is stellar! This one is modeled after theirs. Although, I opted to add apples. They added a nice sweetness and paired beautifully with the cheese and the ham!
Origins of Pizza
As with many food stories, it is not an easy question to answer definitively. It really depends on your definition. The pizza that we are most farmiliar with today, cover with tomato sauce and cheese, was, in fact, born in Naples, Italy. But if you think of pizza as a flatbread, of course, those date back to the Middle East. Also, focaccia that is topped with olive oil and other ingredients dates back to the Greek and Roman Empires. The first pizza shop in the US was in NYC and opened in 1905!
How to Make Deep Dish Breakfast Pizza
You can easily make homemade dough but when you are short on time a store bought dough is your best friend! Preheat oven to 450°F or 500°F if your oven will go that high.
- Since we’re making deep dish, spread the dough into an oiled cast or ovenproof pan.
- Cover and let it rise/ rest for about 5 minutes.
- Pour eggs into the center of the dough. Spread it out with a spoon so it covers evenly. Cover the eggs with a few slices of deli ham.
- Core and thinly slice an apple.
- Add 3 slices of torn american cheese. My hubby insists on American!!
I usually top with grated mozzarella. It doesn’t get really browned like the American cheese, but I was out!
Bake for 15- 20 minutes, depending on the maximum temperature your oven reaches, until cheese and crust is nice and brown and filling is bubbly. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting.
Other delicious Pizzas on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
- Chicken Florentine Pizza
- Lobster Pizza
- Thin Crust Grilled Chicken Pizza
- Tuna Pizza
- Deep Dish Breakfast Pizza
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Tools I Use to Breakfast Pizza
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Deep Dish Breakfast Pizza
- Olive Oil to Coat Pan
- 1 Pizza Dough
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Apple
- 3 slices Deli Ham
- 3 slices American Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Coat cast iron or other ovenproof pan with olive oil.
- Stretch dough and push into edges of the pan.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and let dough rest for about 5 minutes.
- Scramble eggs in a small bowl.
- Core and slice apple.
- Once dough has rested, pour eggs into the middle of the dough and spread toward the edges with a spoon so the dough is evenly covered.
- Tear the ham and place on top of the egg. Place apple slices on top of ham.
- Tear American cheese into smaller pieces and top the apple.
- Cover everything with mozzarella.
- Bake about 30 minutes until filling is bubbly and cheese and dough are evenly browned.
CARING IS SHARING
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later, share it on Facebook, tweet about it and Yum it to Yummly! I greatly appreciate it!! Tag me @binkysculinarycarnival or #binkysculinarycarnival!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 3/1/2016