Crab cakes make a delicious appetizer for your parties or a perfect dinner, served with a side salad! The most delicious part of the cakes is the crab itself! Helped a bit by the lemon!
Crab cakes are a staple food in the Chesapeake Bay region of Maryland. You can not walk in to a restaurant and not see them on the menu. Since we rarely get down to that area, we make them at home a few times a year, to treat ourselves.
What you need
- lump crab meat
- lemon juice
- panko bread crumbs
How to make crab cakes
- Chop up some of the crab, leaving about a third of it in large chunks.
- Chop vegetables.
- place all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Mix gently, but thoroughly.
- Form patties. Press into panko.
- Let cakes set up for at least 30 minutes, lightly covered in refrigerator.
- Fry in shallow oil until golden brown.
If you don’t want to dip these in a hot and spicy sauce, I suggest adding some heat to the crab mix. 1-2 tsp of hot sauce, 1/2-1 tsp of cayenne or chili powder, or Old Bay seasoning.
What sauces to use
Bold or spicy sauces really compliment the crab cakes.
Other Delicious Appetizers
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
That’s how easy it is to make these easy Crab Cakes. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Super Easy Crab Cakes
- Chop 2/3 of the crab into medium chunks. Leave 1/3 in large chunks.
- Chop herbs and vegetables, finely.
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl.
- Gently, but thoroughly mix.
- Make cakes in whatever size you like. Mine were about 3 ounces each.
- Press each cake into panko so that the panko sticks.
- Place on a plate. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let the panko soak up the liquids and bind, and for the flavors to meld.
- Shallow fry in cast iron pan in oil.
Originally published 3/19/20