Homemade Sloppy Joes are so easy and so much better than the stuff you buy in a can! They are so easy, too You can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
I haven’t made Homemade Sloppy Joes in decades. Last month I was trying to think of a sandwich that I hadn’t done in a long time. For some reason, Sloppy Joes came to mind!
Don’t get me wrong, I like Sloppy Joes. What’s not to like? Ground beef in a slightly sweet tomato sauce. Eric got in his mind early on in our marriage that he didn’t like sloppy joes, so I never made them. My youngest said when I made them last month, “Mom, why don’t you ever make these? They are really good.” Now my answer would have been, that his father didn’t like them, but I let it go. 🙂
You can customize the flavor to your families liking. A little sweet, or sweeter. Trying to stay away from refined sugars? Honey is a great substitute because it gets all caramelized in the sauce.
To make these sloppy joes, you just need to brown the beef with the onion and celery, then add the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for a few minutes, until it’s hot. What could be easier than that?
I hope you liked the post today for Sloppy Joes! Give them a try sometime. You won’t be disappointed!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Homemade Sloppy Joes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3-4 baby bell peppers, any color, diced optional
- 2 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 heaping tablespoons dry mustard
- 3 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp sugar or honey, to taste
- 8 sandwich buns
- Place beef in hot, heavy bottom pan with onions and celery. Breaking up beef as it browns.
- Once beef is browned and onions and celery and peppers, if using, have softened, add the remaining ingredients. Turn heat to medium and heat through. Can be simmered on low for a long time, if desired. Add water if sauce becomes too thick, and then cook some of the water out of it.
- Serve on toasted buns.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.