I know, I say this for every new recipe I try, but this Oscar Relish is my new favorite food! What can I say, I like food! Don’t judge! 🙂 It is sweet, yet tangy. The perfect condiment to replace boring ketchup! It more resembles a chutney than a relish and is great with meat, fish, chicken, pork and eggs (The list that I have tried so far)!
In September I had so many peaches and tomatoes to use up! I had to come up with some new, different recipes! I stumbled on this Oscar Relish and knew I had to make this! Mostly because it used both peaches and tomatoes!
It more resembles a chutney to me, but it’s not spicy hot. It is such a great condiment! I’m crazy about it! I’ve tried to research the origins of it but have come up with nothing! If anyone knows, please leave me a comment below.
I love different condiments! I get tired of boring ketchup, mayo and mustards. This condiment fits the bill for different! The flavor is hard to describe! It has a hint of sweetness from the peaches. A bit of heat from the ground hot pepper and a bit of tang from the vinegar!
How to Can Oscar Relish
Like most relishes, this Oscar Relish could not be easier! Just peel the tomatoes and peaches, chop them up! Stem and seed peppers and chop then just grind the onion and peppers in the food processor.
Then you just cook it down for a couple of hours.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe today for Oscar Relish! Please leave me a comment and hit those shares buttons! Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only endorse products that are I use and enjoy and that I believe would be of value to my readers. Binky’s Culinary Carnival is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
This Oscar Relish is a surprisingly delicious condiment for use on a variety of proteins!
- 8 cups chopped fresh peaches ( about 12 large)
- 8 cups chopped ripe tomatoes (about 12)
- 2 cups diced green sweet peppers (2 large)
- 1 tablespoon red hot pepper , ground (1 pepper)
- 2 cups ground onions (about 6)
- 4 cups light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 cups cider vinegar (5%)
- 1½ teaspoons canning or pickling salt
- 4 tablespoons pickling spice , tied in cheesecloth bag
Peel and pit peaches. Chop into small pieces. Peel and chop tomatoes into ½ inch pieces. Remove stem and seed from peppers and dice into ¼ inch pieces. Peel onions and grind in food chopper. Grind red hot peppers.
- Combine all ingredients in 10 quart saucepan. Cook and stir about 1½ to 2 hours, until it reaches desired thickness.
- Pack in hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.
- Variation — Use two small hot peppers if you like a hotter relish. For milder relish, substitute Tabasco to taste (½ to 1 teaspoon) for the peppers.