This is literally the best damn slow cooker pot roast recipe ever! An easy, delicious, economical meal for your family any night of the week!
Do you remember your mom or grandmom making a Sunday pot roast when you were a kid? I remember, you could smell it throughout the entire house and you couldn’t wait until dinner! This slow cooker pot roast is reminiscent of grandma’s, except, the crockpot gets to do the majority of the work, to get the meat nice and tender!
You could actually braise this roast in the oven for about 2-5 hours, covered, until tender, if you don’t have the crockpot, depending on the size of your roast.
What is pot roast?
Pot roast is a larger, less tender cut of meat that is either braised, or slow cooked for hours, to make those cuts tender.
According to James Beard, pot roasts came to the United States from many different countries in Europe. France, Germany, Hungary, Austria and Russia.
What Beef to Use
- shoulder roast
- chuck roasts
- round roasts
What makes this the best damn pot roast ever?
- It is super easy! 15 minutes preparation time is all you need!
- The slow cooker does the rest of the work.
- Tender, juicy and delicious.
- Very economical dinner, at about $3.00 per serving, you can’t go wrong with a shoulder roast.
What you need
- beef roast
- red wine
- beef broth
- garlic (not pictured)
How to make slow cooker pot roast
- Dry off roast with paper towel thoroughly.
- Salt and pepper roast on both side liberally.
- Brown roast in heavy pan. Cast iron works the best for this.
- Flip roast and brown the other side.
- While roast is browning, rough chop vegetables.
- Add vegetables to slow cooker along with spices.
- Add roast on top of vegetables.
- De-glaze pan with red wine, scraping off browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add to slow cooker.
- Add stock to slow cooker
Cook roast on low for 8 hours, or more until very tender. Some cuts benefit from cooling and refrigerating overnight. If your roast isn’t super tender, the next day, resume cooking roast on low until very tender. You really can’t overcook a pot roast.
Other Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I use to make slow cooker pot roast
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
That’s how easy it is to make slow cooker pot roast. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Best Damn Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Dry roast thoroughly. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to skillet. Brown roast over high heat, on both sides, until well browned, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Cut vegetables into large chunks.
- Line bottom of crockpot with vegetables. Place browned roast over top of vegetables.
- Deglaze skillet with red wine, scraping bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Add wine and stock to crockpot with the meat.
- Cook on low about 6 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Slice roast. Serve with vegetables and sauce. *See notes.
Originally published 3/24/20