These Air Fryer Chicken Tenders are delicious and extra crispy! A fraction of the fat and calories of fried chicken tenders! The breading is also gluten free!
Air fryers are a miraculous new invention. If you haven’t made the leap to air fryer cooking, now is the time to do so. Air frying takes a fraction of the time that baking does and the results you get are just as, if not more, effective at achieving that ever elusive crispy crust that we all long for in fried foods.
We love foods that are cooked in the air fryer. Although recipes require a bit of fine tuning, once you get the hang of your new air fryer, you can apply things that you have learned, through creating other dishes, to new foods. Each air fryer is different, so at first, constantly monitor your food so that it does not burn.
Are air fried chicken tenders healthy?
Air fried chicken tenders will have considerably less fat than chicken tenders that are cooked in oil. 4 grams, as opposed to about 20 grams.
The key with using your air fryer to make meals healthier for your family is to consider the fact that the key word in air fried, is fried.
Although air fried foods require very little fat to get crispy, these are still breaded, so they will be less healthy than foods that are broiled, without the added carbohydrates.
Are these tenders gluten free?
Yes. These Chicken Tenders are both Gluten Free and Dairy / Lactose Free for those of you on special diets. I prefer them to other breading because the corn flakes get extra crunchy.
Don’t by packaged corn flakes crumbs, either. All you have to do to make your own is grind corn flakes cereal in your food processor for a few moments. Store them in an air tight bag in your pantry and you will have homemade breading at your finger tips.
Ingredients you need
- fresh chicken tenders or chicken nuggets.
- crushed cornflakes – grind your own. It’s cheaper.
- black pepper – freshly cracked is best
- kosher salt or sea salt
Here’s how to make them
- Mix flour with salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Crack egg in another bowl. Whisk.
- Mix cornflake crumbs, salt, pepper and paprika in a third bowl.
- Dip chicken pieces in flour. Shake off excess.
- Dip in egg mixture, again, shake off excess.
- Press chicken down in cornflake mixture to adhere.
- Place on clean tray.
- Place chicken tenders in air fryer basket. Spray both sides with cooking spray.
Preheat air fryer to 425°F. Cook for 5-8 minutes on first side until browned. Flip with tongs and continue to air fry another 5-8 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
What dipping sauces go well with chicken tenders?
- Honey mustard Dipping Sauce
- Comeback Sauce
- BBQ sauce – your favorite homemade or store bought sauce
- ranch dressing
- Classic bleu cheese dressing
Now tell me you wouldn’t rather serve these to your kids instead of going to Mickey D’s!
You don’t even have to feel bad serving them these chicken tenders and chicken nuggets with a nice salad and some sweet potato fries! (That is air fried sweet potato fries in the background. They need a bit of perfecting before I share that recipe with you, but I will soon!)
Sauces for dipping
Other delicious air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Pork Loin
- Air Fryer Doughnuts
- Beet Chips in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Meatballs
Tools I Use
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
That’s how easy it is to make Air Fryer Chicken Tenders. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Preheat air fryer to 425°F.
- Dip chicken tenders in flour, shaking off excess. Then dip in whisked egg, letting excess drip off. Next dip in corn flake crumbs, pressing down to adhere crumbs.
- Place in air fryer basket, so that they do not touch. Spray with cooking spray on both sides.
- Cook on first side 5-8 minutes, depending on your air fryer. Check often.
- Once browned on the first side flip over carefully with tongs. Continue cooking for 5-8 additional minutes, until lightly browned, crisp. Internal temperature should be 165°F.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally published 4/1/19 Updated 1/25/2022.