Grilled Chicken with Plum Sauce and Grilled Plums is a healthy, easy late summer meal that is ready in 40 minutes. The chicken turns out moist and juicy because it is indirect grilled, once browned.
This is the second post I ever did in 2014! It was badly in need of an update, so I could hardly wait for the plums to be ripe! Easy grilled dinners are pretty much a standard when the temperatures soar. This summer has been particularly warm, so we hardly have cooked inside, at all!
How to Make Grilled Chicken with Plum Sauce and Grilled Plums
- Grate onion, garlic and ginger into a small saucepan with plum jam.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Bring to a simmer under medium heat.
- Stir often until bubbly (approximately 20 minutes) or until sauce is fairly thickened (resembling Barbeque Sauce). Set Sauce aside. ** Can be done up to 3 days ahead and stored in an airtight container in refrigerator. Brush the cut side of the plums with plum sauce and set aside.
- Brown chicken over high heat on grill. Once browned, remove to the side of the grill that has no flame, leaving the other side on. Try to keep the grill temperature about 350°F. Depending on the size of your chicken pieces, they should take about 45 minutes to one hour to reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- During the last 10 to 15 minutes, baste chicken with the plum sauce. Lastly, grill plum over direct heat for 3-4 minutes, until soft and grill marks are achieved.
You can use any cut of chicken that you like, even a whole chicken would be great with the sauce! It is a bit tart and a bit sweet! Just the way we like our Barbecue Sauces!
Due to my background in horticulture, I had several readers request a tutorial on Vegetable Gardening. To this end I have published a series of posts on the subject, packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! If you need help in this area, don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden!
If you love chicken, we also love this Lemon Chicken, or Maple Apple Cider Chicken Thighs ! I hope you enjoyed the recipe today for this Chicken with Plum Sauce and Grilled Plums! Don’t forget to sign up for my mailing list so that you don’t miss any more great recipes!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Chicken with Plum Sauce and Grilled Plums
- 4 large boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Large Plums , halved
- Olive Oil
- Mix all ingredients for sauce in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat until bubbly and thick. Brush the plums on cuts side with sauce, and set aside.
- Pound chicken breasts to achieve even thickness.
- Brush grill with olive oil and direct grill chicken breasts for approximately 4 minutes on each side until you have nice grill marks. Move to the other side of the grill and brush both sides with plum sauce. Close the grill lid. Let indirect grill until chicken reaches 165° F (Approximately 45 to 1 hour minutes, depending on the thickness). Remove chicken and let rest. While chicken is resting, grill the plums for approximately two minutes on each side to get nice grill marks.
- Serve with rice pilaf and your choice of vegetable.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 9/12/2014 Updated 8/27/2018