Brisket tacos are the perfect way to use up your leftover brisket. Learn about making these tacos so that your brisket stays nice and moist.
Tacos will never be the same after trying these brisket tacos. Spicy, flavorful and delicious.
We use our leftover smoked beef brisket or venison brisket for this yummy addition to your dinner arsenal. They couldn’t be easier because you just throw the ingredients in your crockpot and let ‘er rip.
What you need
You don’t need a ton of ingredients because the brisket is already seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. I don’t even add salt or pepper until my final tasting before serving.
- leftover brisket – beef or venison are both good.
- ground cumin
- ground cayenne pepper, ground chipotle or chili powder
If you didn’t put a flavorful rub on the brisket, you may want some more flavor in your tacos.
- Mexican oregano
- bay leaves
- adobo seasoning
How to make it
- Add meat to slow cooker.
- Halve the onion. Quarter half of it and add it to the meat.
- Halve the orange. Squeeze half of the orange over the meat. Add the rind too.
- Add spices.
- Pour about a cup of beef broth or water into crock pot.
Cook on low for a couple hours until the meat is tender enough to pull with two forks. The time will depend on how large the pieces of brisket are and how much you cooked the brisket the first time.
Place the meat on a cutting board. Let it cool a bit. Pull with two forks. If you are doing beef brisket tacos, then remove some of the larger pieces of fat.
Mix the meat with the juices in the crock pot to keep it moist.
Serve with warm flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
Why you’ll love these tacos
- Brisket is one of the most flavorful cuts on the animal which makes these tacos incredibly tasty.
- It only takes a few hours in your slow cooker.
- There is only a couple minutes of hands-on time.
- It’s a family favorite.
- You can make them any time of year with your leftover frozen brisket.
- The kids will gobble them up.
- It’s made with leftovers so it is incredibly economical. At only 70 cents per serving, it’s a great way to stretch your food budget.
- Versatile. Use whatever you have on hand to make these tacos. If you don’t have an ingredient leave it out, or substitute what you do have in the house. Use whatever toppings you like.
- Great for a crowd. If you have a lot of leftover brisket, make a taco bar for the big game or any party.
How to store leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator 3-4 days. For longer storage, vacuum pack servings and store in the freezer for about 6 months.
Use it to make enchiladas, nachos, quesadillas, sandwiches and more.
Toppings for tacos
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- grated cheddar cheese or Jack cheese
- cotija cheese
- pickled or fresh sliced jalapeno
- Mexican creme or sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- pickled or fresh onion
- pickled or fresh radish
- sliced avocado
- black olives
- your favorite salsa
- hot sauce
- spicy slaw
- lime wedges
Sides to serve with tacos
- refried beans
- Mexican rice
More taco recipes
Tools I use
These easy brisket tacos are without a doubt one of our favorite meals.
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
- Place leftover brisket in the crock pot.1 pound beef brisket
- Quarter the onion half. Add to crock pot.½ large onion
- Squeeze the juice of the orange onto meat and onion. Add the rind.½ large orange
- Add spices. Add about 1 cup of beef broth or water.1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder, 1 cup beef broth
- Cook on low for a couple hours, until meat is fork tender and can be pulled. (Timing is determined by how large your pieces are and how much you cooked the meat the first day.)
- Place meat on cutting board. Let it cool for a few minutes so that it is easier to handle. Pull with two forks.
- Add meat back to slow cooker and mix it with the juices.
- Heat tortillas on gas stove grate, in the microwave between sheet of damp paper towel or in a small frying pan with oil.8 corn tortillas
- Build taco with your preferred toppings.