These Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Stars are a festive cookie for the holidays! Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are an easy cutout cookie! The dough is wonderful to work with!
I do several cutout cookies, where the dough is just a bear to work with! These Santa CutOut Cookies are probably the worst culprit! The dough is the best, tastiest cutout dough I have ever eaten, but they can be a pain to cut out, because it contains 3 eggs.
Unfortunately, the taste comes at a price! Every other year, it seems when we make these, the dough is a sticky struggle, so that you have to pile the flour on everything, the cutters, the board, the dough itself. My theory is, that it is a factor of varying egg sizes. This year happened to be one of the bad years! 🙂
This dough is the complete opposite! It is a delight to work with! Just a bit of flour on your board, and you are good to go!
The inspiration for this recipe came from these Chocolate Peppermint Stars from Bon Appetit. I made these several years ago and liked them overall, but thought that the chocolate cookie dough was a bit flavorless.
So, I had been wanting to try them with a different chocolate cookie for the base. This chocolate cookie recipe is delicious! I found this one on Taste of Home.
These cookies are so different from my usual Christmas cookies. Very festive and really set off a cookie platter! Oh, yea, and chocolate!
How to make Chocolate Peppermint Cookie
- Measure dry ingredients into bowl.
- Whisk together.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs.
- Beat again until light,
- Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Make sure to scrape the bowl.
- Place dough on large sheet of waxed paper.
- Cover. Chill at least a few hours, or overnight.
- To roll; Flour your board or a sheet of waxed paper. Place small amount of dough on. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll to 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut out desired shapes.
- Pick the cookies up off of the board with a thin spatula.
- Place on cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes. Until set.
- To decorate, melt chocolate and drizzle on cookies in a zigzag. Crush candy canes in a plastic bag.
Sprinkle wet chocolate with some crushed peppermint pieces. Drizzle remainder of chocolate on top of cookies. Allow to dry for at least an hour, until chocolate hardens.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies can be made ahead and frozen
There are a few steps, as with all cutout cookies, but these are not difficult, by any means! Chocolatey goodness! Another great thing is that these Chocolate Peppermint Cookies freeze well. Just freeze in an air tight container between sheets of waxed paper for up to a month!
Let me know if you try these Chocolate Peppermint Cookies and what you think. Thanks for stopping by today!
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 20-25 mini candy canes
- 2 boxes Baker’s Chocolate, semisweet 8oz. total
- Measure dry ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
- Cream butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, scraping bowl to clean.
- Wrap dough in waxed paper and chill for at least a few hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll portions of dough on a lightly floured surface sandwiched in waxed paper, to 1/4″ thickness.
- Cut out desired shapes with 3″ cutters.
- Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet, 1″ apart. Bake 10-12 minutes, until set. Cool on wire racks.
- Crush candy canes in plastic bag in varying sized pieces.
- Drizzle chocolate in a zigzag fashion. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate on top of candy canes.
- Can be stored in air tight container, between waxed paper, in freezer for up to a month.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.