This Chicken Lasagna Recipe with Spinach is made with fresh chicken breasts, so the meat is extra moist and delicious! A non traditional lasagna recipe that is the perfect comfort food!
When the weather gets cold in upstate NY, we veer quickly to comfort foods that give us the perfect excuse to turn the oven on to warm up this old farmhouse!
Why does this recipe work?
- Flavor is lighter and fresh thanks to the use of tomatoes and spinach
- The flavors compliment each other so well.
- Easy to make. The perfect weekend comfort meal.
- Can be made 2-3 days ahead, so it’s great for entertaining or for weekend batch cooking to feed the family all week.
- Freezes well.
What you need
- diced tomatoes
- olive oil
For the cheese layer
- parmesan cheese
This recipe is super easy and fast to prepare! You just have to cook the pasta and sauté the chicken with a whole ton of garlic! I just used diced, crushed or stewed tomatoes for the sauce. It gave it lighter, fresher flavor than using tomato sauce.
How to prepare lasagna
- Brown chicken with a splash of olive oil.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Mix ricotta, eggs, oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
- In same pan, saute spinach with a bit more oil just until wilted.
- Moisten bottom of lasagna pan with tomatoes so the casserole doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Add layer of pasta. Spread half of the ricotta filling on top.
- Add another layer of pasta.
- Spread tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with half of the chicken and spinach.
- Sprinkle that layer with parmesan and mozzarella.
Repeat layering steps, using the remainder of the prepared ingredients. Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 1 hour until hot and bubbly. If cheese on the top is getting too browned on the top, you can loosely cover with aluminum foil.
Pro tips to help you succeed
- Brown chicken pieces in a very hot pan.
- Cut chicken breasts, chicken tenders or chicken thighs into bite sized pieces.
- Cook pasta just shy of al dente. It will continue to cook in the oven.
- Use any tomato product you have on hand. If you froze tomatoes from your garden, they work perfectly.
- If top of cheese is getting too brown, loosely cover with aluminum foil.
I hope you like this recipe for Chicken Lasagna Recipe with Spinach, if you love this, you will love this other Italian inspired dish, Chicken Florentine Pizza Thanks for stopping by today!
Other Delicious Pasta Recipes on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
Tools I Use
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
Chicken Lasagna with Spinach
- 1 lb lasagna noodles, 1 lb., cooked according to package directions
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb chicken tenders, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 56 oz stewed, diced or crushed tomatoes, 2 large cans
- 2 tsp each, basil, parsley, oregano or use Italian seasoning
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tsp oregano, dried
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 box frozen spinach can use canned or fresh, sautéed in same pan as chicken
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c mushrooms, sautéed, if desired
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Turn oven on to 350°F.
- Add olive oil to sauté pan over medium high heat. Add chicken tenders, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until browned on first side. Add garlic after you have flipped the first side.
- Remove chicken from pan when both sides are brown and allow to cool. Once cooled, chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add canned tomatoes to the pan, after removing the chicken. And add mushrooms, if using, spices, along with salt and pepper to season.
- Mix ricotta with egg, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Place about 1 cup of tomato sauce on bottom of deep 9″x13″ pan or lasagna pan. top with a single layer of pasta.
- Top pasta with 1/2 of the ricotta and spread it over the pasta.
- Top with another layer of pasta and then spread a generous layer of the tomatoes, sprinkle on the chicken and spinach and mozzerella. Finally top with a generous layer of parmesan cheese.
- Top that layer with more pasta and repeat the last 3 steps.
- There should be the perfect amount of everything to do 2 layers of each the ricotta and the sauce layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 1- 1 1/2 hours until hot and bubbly.