Quiche is one of the easiest, meals to make for brunch or dinner! Leftover Chicken Quiche is so tasty and the addition of four different cheeses makes it moist and oh sooo cheesy!
What you need
For the egg custard
- milk or heavy cream
- cheese – use Swiss cheese, colby jack, cheddar cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, anything you have in the house really
- chicken – use leftover chicken or cook a breast in your Instant pot if you don’t have any leftovers.
- bacon – crisped or use ham, prosciutto and the like.
- spinach – blanched or sauteed until wilted.
- kosher salt or sea salt
- black pepper or white pepper
- nutmeg – freshly grated is best
- homemade or store bought pie dough, or pastry shell
For the pie crust
- butter – cut into small cubes. Butter should be very cold. After you cut it place it back in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes.
- ice water
How to make it
The pie crust
Pie crust is really ridiculously easy to do. If you don’t have time, you can use a store bought pie crust.
- Cut butter into squares.
- Measure flour and salt. Place in food processor bowl.
- Place butter in food processor with flour and salt.
- Pulse until the butter in the flour mixture appears to be the size of peas.
- Add water, one tablespoon drop full at a time until the dough comes together.
- Gather dough. Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate about one hour.
To roll the crust
- Place the dough on a floured cutting board.
- Roll to a 12″ diameter circle.
- Place pie crust in 9″ pie pan. Crimp edges.
To par bake the crust
- Blind bake the pie crust. This is a very important step. If the crust isn’t blind baked, it will end up a soggy mess because of the moisture in the egg mixture.
- Spread a large sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper onto rolled out crust. Spread pie weights evenly along the bottom of the crust. (If you don’t have pie weights, use a bag of dried beans.)
- Bake crust at 350°F for about 30 minutes.
The egg custard
- Wilt spinach in a skillet with a splash of olive oil. This only takes a couple minutes. Just keep turning the spinach with a spatula so that it wilts evenly. Remove to paper towel to drain. Set aside.
- Break four eggs in a medium size bowl. Whisk.
- Add milk or heavy cream, a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Whisk to incorporate.
- Add chicken, cheese, spinach and bacon to the egg mixture.
- Mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into the blind baked crust. Do not overfill or it will leak on your oven. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake quiche for about 45 minutes, check it for doneness after about 35 minutes, (If crust becomes too brown, loosely cover with foil.) To test for doneness, a pick inserted in the center comes out clean but the center still jiggles slightly and crust is nicely browned.
- Do not overfill the pie crust or it may spill over and make a mess of your oven.
- Place a large rimmed baking sheet under the pie tin to catch potential spills.
- To test a quiche for doneness, shake the pie plate from side to side after removing it from oven. It should still have a jiggle in the middle, like set gelatin. If it doesn’t it will be overcooked. The reason is that it will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven.
- If the top or crust is getting too brown, cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil or a pie crust shield.
- Always let the quiche rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
Why should you make this chicken quiche?
- It’s totally customizable. Just throw in the eggs and cheese and whatever other goodies you have in the house to throw into it!
- The other added attraction is, of course, it has BACON! And we all know everything is better with bacon.
- Takes less than 5 minutes to put together with a couple meal prep recipes (with the help of my frozen crispy bacon and frozen spinach in the freezer) …. (and the store bought pie crust and leftover chicken.)
It’s great to serve for holiday brunches or for easy easy light lunch or dinner.
Other Popular Quiches
Tools I Use
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Chicken & Bacon Quiche
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cup Milk
- 1.5 cups cheeses, mixed I used mozzarella, parmesan, sharp white cheddar, colby jack Any cheese you have in the house will work 340 ml
- 1 cup diced or shredded chicken
- 4 slices bacon, crisped I make extra and freeze so that I always in the freezer
- ½ cups spinach
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 pinch pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
Pastry for Single Pie crust
- Cut butter into cubes. Return to fridge for a few minutes to get cold again.1 refrigerated pie crust
- Place flour, salt and shortening into food processor bowl. Add cold butter. Process until shortening forms pea sized balls.
- Add water one tablespoon at a time until dough starts to clump together. Pulse, DO NOT run continuously.
- Chill dough for about 1 hour. Place dough on a floured board and roll into a 12" circle. Place crust in pie tin. Crimp edges.
For blind baking crust
- Cut a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper larger than the pie plate.
- Place pie weights evenly on top of the crust. (If you don't have pie weights, use a bag of dried beans to hold the crust down.)
- Par bake crust for about 30 minutes at 350°F / 180°C. Remove from oven. Remove pie weights or beans.
- If you use beans, pour them into a quart canning jar and store for just using as pie weights.
For quiche filling
- Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Add grated cheese and bacon and mix well.4 eggs, 1.5 cup Milk, 4 slices bacon, crisped, 1.5 cups cheeses, mixed I used mozzarella, parmesan, sharp white cheddar, colby jack
- Saute’ spinach, just until wilted, in a small pan with 1 tsp. olive oil. Drain on paper towel. Mix with the eggs.½ cups spinach
- Add remaining ingredients to egg mixture.1 cup diced or shredded chicken, ½ cups spinach, 2 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Pepper, 1 pinch pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Don't overfill or the filling will spill in oven, while it bakes.
- Bake at 350°F for about 60 minutes. Eggs should be set but the middle can jiggle a little when shaken from side to side. If you have leftover filling, place it a ramekin and bake for about 30 minutes, or until set.
CARING IS SHARING
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later, share it on Facebook, tweet about it and Yum it to Yummly! I greatly appreciate it!! Tag me @binkysculinarycarnival or #binkysculinarycarnival!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.