Happy Pina Colada Day! To celebrate, I thought I would make these super easy Pina Colada Cupcakes! They are boozy, so if you are feeding them to the kiddies, eliminate the rum!!
I rarely drink mixed drinks. It’s not that I don’t like mixed drinks, I like a bunch of them, but I can’t handle the alcohol content anymore. I have to stick with vino. Of course, truth be told, if I stuck with one mixed drink, it would be ok, but what fun is that!! U+1F602 Anyway, this recipe is super easy thanks to a boxed cake mix!
- Make filling first. Just add sugar and cornstarch to canned pineapple.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring often. Heat until fruit thickens. About 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- I used a yellow cake, but a white cake would work, as well. Just prepare the batter according to your package directions, except replace some of the liquid with the rum and coconut extract. So, start with the rum and coconut in your measuring cup and then fill the remainder with the recommended amount water.
- Oil according to package directions!
- Eggs according to package directions.
- Mix together.
- Fill with a couple tablespoons of batter.
- Add 2 tablespoons filling in the middle.
- Fill cupcakes 2/3 full.
- Bake according to package directions.
- While cupcakes are baking, make the frosting. Add butter, vanilla and rum to mixer bowl. Beat.
- Sift in 2 cups of powdered sugar. Beat until smoooth. Sift in another 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar to form thick frosting.
- Toast the coconut under a low broiler. Watch it very closely because it will burn easily!
- Frost cupcakes, then top with toasted coconut. Garnish with maraschino cherry, if desired.
There is my homage to the wonderful Pina Colada! Happy Pina Colada Day! I hope you enjoyed the recipe! Don’t forget to subscribe to BCC so that you don’t miss a new recipe! I have some great ones coming up this month! Thanks for stopping by!
Other Delicious CHANGE Recipes on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I Use to Make
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Pina Colada Cupcakes
- 1 can crushed pineapple 15-1/2 oz
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 yellow or white cake mix
- 1/2 cup white rum. (use 1/4 cup and then it is really mildly rum flavor)
- 2 tbsp coconut extract
- 3/4 cup toasted coconut (Toast in 350° oven for approx 10 minutes. Watch closely!)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 4-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Mix all filling ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat simmer until thick, about 10-15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Measure rum, add coconut, fill with water, according to the package directions on cake mix box.
- Follow the instructions for cake mix.
- Use cupcake bake cups, or spray cupcake tins with no stick spray. Cover bottom with batter. (2-3 tbsp of cake mix.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of the pineapple filling on top of batter.
- Fill the tins 2/3 full with more batter.
- Bake according to the package directions. (usually 18-21 minutes.
- Soften butter to room temperature. Cream butter with electric mixer. Add rum, vanilla and coconut extract. Cream until combined.
- Add 2 cups sift powdered sugar and mix well. Add the 2-1/2 cups of powdered sugar and a scant 1/4 cup coconut milk. Don't add all of the milk until you see if you need it to get it nice and creamy.
- Frost cupcakes and top with toasted coconut and a maraschino cherry.
CARING IS SHARING
Liked this recipe? Pin it for later, share it on Facebook, tweet about it and Yum it to Yummly! I greatly appreciate it!! Tag me @binkysculinarycarnival or #binkysculinarycarnival!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.