This Panko Crusted Catfish Recipe is easy, delicious and a bit better for you than the traditional deep fried catfish recipe with just a few simple swaps!
Instead of the traditional deep fried (usually peanut oil) catfish, I shallow fry the catfish! To make this overall meal lighter than a traditional fish fry, I also substitute fresh corn salsa for the usual tartar sauce and sweet potato chips for the traditional french fries!
The best thing about this recipe is that it is so very easy and the fish is done in less than 30 minutes!
How to Make this Panko Crusted Catfish Recipe in No Time!
- Soak thin sliced sweet potatoes in a large container with water.
- Thoroughly dry chips between clean kitchen towels or paper towels.
- Shallow fry the dried sweet potato chips in medium hot oil, about 325°-350°F until they are look like they are dried out and are golden brown. About 3-4 minutes per side. Keep warm in low oven (200°F)
- Whisk spices with buttermilk in a plastic container, or bag, big enough to accomodate fish,
- Add fish and marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Place fish fillets on a paper towel to drain some of the buttermilk.
- Bread catfish fillets in a mixture of panko and spices.
- Turn and bread the other side, pressing down to make bread crumbs adhere to fish.
- Fry the catfish fillets in same oil that was used to cook the sweet potato chips that is about 325-350°F, until internal temperature is 145°F.
That’s it! A bit lighter version of a traditional catfish fish fry! Here is the recipe for my Corn and Black Bean Salsa, which is a great accompaniment for the fish and chips!
I hope you enjoyed the post today! Thanks for stopping by for the Panko Crusted Catfish Recipe! This Northern Pike Recipe is one of my most viewed fish recipes! Don’t forget to sign up for my mailing list so that you don’t miss any new recipes! As always,
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Panko Crusted Catfish Recipe
- 1 lb catfish fillets
For Buttermilk mixture
- 3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
For Bread Crumb Mixture
- 1.5 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Oil, such as vegetable, canola, olive oil, etc.
- Whisk spices for buttermilk mixture together with buttermilk.
- Coat both sides of fillets with the buttermilk mixture. Let rest for at least 10 minutes. Can be soaked longer, just refrigerate and remove from refrigerator to counter for 10 minutes.
- Mix spices into bread crumbs.
- Drain one side of fillets on paper towel.
- Coat the fillet with the panko and press down, if needed, to make panko adhere to fish.
- Add enough Mazola to get a depth of approximately 1 inch deep, in heavy bottom pan. Bring oil to 350-365°F. Add fillets a few pieces at a time. Don't overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes, depending on thickness) on one side, flip and brown second side.
- Drain on wire rack. Serve with sweet potato chips.