These Smoky Chipotle Turkey Burgers on the Grill are easy, moist and delicious!
Have you ever tried to make turkey burgers on the grill, only to be disappointed because they are dry? The reason for this is that there is very little fat in the turkey. It’s the same reason that sometimes they fall apart, as well. There is no fat to bind them together! For this reason it is really important to add a binder and some fat to the meat and mix it up well. Then you can grill or cook in cast pan and get a nice crust on the outside of your burger!
In this case I use my Chipotle Aioli for the fat and cornmeal for the binder.
On to the method for making these turkey burgers on the grill!
- The first thing to do it to make the aioli. Just add everything except oil to food processor container. Mix it up with a few pulses. Then stream in olive oil until it emulsifies and a nice sauce forms. It will take more or less oil, depending on the size of your egg.
- Add all of the ingredients for the turkey burgers to a medium bowl.
- Mix gently, but thoroughly.
- Form burgers. Add a well in the center so that when the burgers puff up in the middle. They will get evenly done then.
- I just do everything on the grill. Roast the peppers, char some onion and soften the cherry tomatoes.
- Place burgers on grill with the well side down. When that side is nicely browned, flip burger and add cheese to the top. Cook burger to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Check out our new YouTube Video! How to Make Smoky Chipotle Turkey Burgers on the Grill to go with our homemade Aioli, Chipotle Lime Aioli. This is one of our favorite burgers ever!! Amazingly scrumptious, super easy food, great for any day!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Moist and flavorful!
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 large pepper and 1 Tbsp. sauce from canned chipotle in adobo
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 c oil (half vegetable and 1/2 olive)
- 1-1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1-1/2 Tbsp Corn meal
- 1 Tbsp grated onion
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp chipotle lime aioli
- 12 slices leyden cheese
- 6 pretzel rolls
- 18 red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1-1/2 c shredded lettuce
- 6 roasted mini sweet peppers
- 4 slices white onion , 1/4″ thick
- 6 Tbsp crumbled cotija cheese
For Chipotle Lime Aioli
Add all ingredients, except oil to food processor and combine. Slowly stream in oil with processor running until a thin but emulsified aioli forms. Refrigerate until use.
Place ground turkey in a large bowl.
Grate onion and garlic directly over the bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients, except cheese and rolls and mix well.
Form the meat mixture into 6 burgers. Place an indentation in the center of each burger on one side.
Spray each burger with cooking spray.
Place burgers on the grill with the indentation down first.
Grill over medium high heat until browned on the first side. Don’t try to flip burgers until they are browned or they will fall apart. You can also grill them on a piece of aluminum foil.
After flipping, top with sliced leyden cheese and melt.
Cook burgers until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Let rest 5 minutes.
Toppings and Assembly
Grill tomatoes on aluminum foil until browned.
Grill peppers directly on grill grates until very brown. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. When cool enough to handle, scrape brown skin off of peppers. Slice peppers lengthwise into strips.
Grill onion directly on grates until nicely browned, flip and brown the other side
Toast rolls on grill grates.
Top the bottome of the roll with 1/4 c. lettuce, then burger. Add Peppers, tomatoes and top with aioli
Crumble cotija on top of all.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 10/28/2016