What is a girl to do when she is craving Chicken Enchiladas but she doesn’t have the ambition to make them? Why come up with an awesome, easy recipe for Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole, of course!
You know how sometimes, well I guess a lot of times, great ideas or inventions are born from a humans’ laziness? I mean look at the wheel! The guy who invented the wheel was sick of carrying loads of stuff in his arms, and thought it would be handy to have something he could push or pull, to haul greater quantities than he could with his arms! 😂
So it is with this recipe! I had been seeing enchiladas in my sleep for days and knew I just had to make some! The issue was I was too lazy to make my Authentic Red Enchilada Sauce for Chicken Enchiladas!
So I thought using the slow cooker would be the ticket to get me out of rolling enchiladas! I’m pleased to tell you it was an amazing idea! These taste just like my chicken enchiladas! You can use whatever protein you like. I happened to have leftover chicken, so I used that. You could also use a rottisserie chicken, or raw chicken, if you adjust the cooking time!
How to make Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- If you are using already cooked chicken, just add a can of tomato sauce to the crockpot. Add spices.
- Add diced onion and minced jalapeño. Cook on high about 2 hours until vegetables are tender.
- Dice chicken. Add the chicken to the sauce in the crockpot and mix. Heat for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, until chicken is heated through.
- Cut tortillas into bite sized squares.
- Add tortillas and cook for another 30 minutes, until tortilas have softened.
- Add cheese and cook for about 15 minutes until cheese is melty.
That’s all there is to it! Easy peasy! Serve with shredded lettuce, avocado, sour cream, hot sauce, whatever you like on enchiladas! Add a can of black beans or pinto beans to stretch it even further and add more protein and fiber!
Or make them vegetarian by adding the beans, potatoes or cheese.
The History of Enchiladas
There is evidence of enchiladas being eaten by the Mayans! The Mayans would eat tortillas (actually a Spanish word) rolled around meats, usually fish, according toWiki! Enchiladas were first mentioned in the cookbook, “The Mexican Chef”, in 1831!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today for Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas Casserole! If you give it a try, let me know what you think in the comment section below! Thanks for stopping by today!
Other Delicious Mexican Recipes on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Tools I Use to Make Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
- BH&G Heritage Cookbook (has a delicious chicken enchilada recipe in it!)
- Box Grater, for cheese
- Chef’s knife, to cut up tortillas
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder, increase if you like spicy foods
- 1 tsp salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 minced jalapeno
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken or use a rotisserie chicken
- 7 corn tortillas
- 2.5 cups cheese, 1.5 cups mixed into casserole, plus 1 cup evenly spread over the top Monterey Jack, Colby, Cheddar, etc.
- Place tomato sauce and spices in crockpot. Add Onion and jalapeno. Cook on high for approximately 2 hours, until the vegetable are cooked.
- Add diced chicken, cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour to heat chicken through.
- Cut tortillas into bite sized pieces. Add to casserole and mix. Cook another 30 minutes until soft.
- Mix in cheese and then top with more cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 6/24/2018