What is a girl to do when she is craving Chicken Enchiladas but she doesn’t have the ambition to make them? Why come up with an awesome, easy recipe for Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole, of course!
You know how sometimes, well I guess a lot of times, great ideas or inventions are born from a humans’ laziness? I mean look at the wheel! The guy who invented the wheel was sick of carrying loads of stuff in his arms, and thought it would be handy to have something he could push or pull, to haul greater quantities than he could with his arms! ????
So it is with this recipe! I had been seeing enchiladas in my sleep for days and knew I just had to make some! The issue was I was too lazy to make my Authentic Red Enchilada Sauce for Chicken Enchiladas!
So I thought using the slow cooker would be the ticket to get me out of rolling enchiladas! I’m pleased to tell you it was an amazing idea! These taste just like my chicken enchiladas! You can use whatever protein you like. I happened to have leftover chicken, so I used that. You could also use a rottisserie chicken, or raw chicken, if you adjust the cooking time!
How to make crockpot chicken enchilada casserole
- Add diced onion and minced jalapeño. Cook on high about 2 hours until vegetables are tender.
- If you are using already cooked chicken, just add a can of tomato sauce to the crockpot. Add spices.
- Dice chicken. Add the chicken to the sauce in the crockpot and mix. Heat for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, until chicken is heated through.
- Cut tortillas into bite sized squares.
- Add tortillas and cook for another 30 minutes, until tortilas have softened.
- Add cheese and cook for about 15 minutes until cheese is melty.
That’s all there is to it! Easy peasy! Serve with shredded lettuce, avocado, sour cream, hot sauce, whatever you like on enchiladas! Add a can of black beans or pinto beans to stretch it even further and add more protein and fiber!
Or make them vegetarian by adding the beans, potatoes or cheese.
The history of enchiladas
There is evidence of enchiladas being eaten by the Mayans! The Mayans would eat tortillas (actually a Spanish word) rolled around meats, usually fish, according toWiki! Enchiladas were first mentioned in the cookbook, “The Mexican Chef”, in 1831!
Other delicious Mexican recipes
- Slow Cooker Refried Beans
- Venison Enchiladas
- Stacked Enchiladas
- Baked Chilaquiles
- Turkey or Chicken Enchiladas
Tools I Use to Make Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Contains affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
- BH&G Heritage Cookbook (has a delicious chicken enchilada recipe in it!)
- Box Grater, for cheese
- Chef’s knife, to cut up tortillas
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today for Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas Casserole! If you give it a try, let me know what you think in the comment section below! Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 2 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder, increase if you like spicy foods
- 1 tsp salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 minced jalapeno
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken or use a rotisserie chicken
- 7 corn tortillas
- 2.5 cups cheese, 1.5 cups mixed into casserole, plus 1 cup evenly spread over the top Monterey Jack, Colby, Cheddar, etc.
- Place tomato sauce and spices in crockpot. Add Onion and jalapeno. Cook on high for approximately 2 hours, until the vegetable are cooked.
- Add diced chicken, cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour to heat chicken through.
- Cut tortillas into bite sized pieces. Add to casserole and mix. Cook another 30 minutes until soft.
- Mix in cheese and then top with more cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.
Originally Published 6/24/2018
Looks so cheesy and comforting. Love that you can make it in the crockpot too!
Thanks so much, Amanda! It is quite delicious! Have a great weekend!
Jeannette (Jay Joy)
Oh wow! I never thought about cutting the tortillas INTO the crockpot! That sounds perfect. This easy recipe for Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole is right up my alley. I honestly am so busy I don’t know what to do some days. The crockpot has saved me time and time again. I will try this next week for sure!
Hi Jeannette! So glad that you enjoyed the recipe! Let me know how you like it! Thanks!
What a brilliant idea for a tasty slow cooker meal and so easy too! I really need to get my slow cooker out and try this.
It is so easy, Corina! I think your gang will enjoy it!
Wow! This looks so delicious and sounds super easy! Always love a good casserole dish, and this one with a Mexican twist looks yummy!
Thanks so much Lesli! I appreciate your comment!
Beth- I’m making this before I head out to work tomorrow! Tex-Mex dishes are our favorite! Even better that it goes in the crock pot!
Oh, I’m glad! Let me know how your gang likes it! Thanks Nikole!
I have been wanting to try more slow cooker recipes like this!! Sometimes you want the flavor of something but you don’t want to take the time to make it!
That’s exactly correct! This is so easy! Thanks Anna!
We love enchiladas and have been making them in the slow cooker a lot. So handy!
That’s great! They are so easy, aren’t they Dannii? Thanks for the comment!
Most definitely easy enough! I make a baked version of this, but I’m pulling out the slow cooker next time for sure. Looks great, with LOADS of flavor!
Thank you Mike! I would love to your baked version, as well!
This is totally genius! My family loves enchiladas! It is so easy! I can’t wait to try this recipe!
Thank you Jessica! I’m glad you enjoyed it! Let me know what the family thinks!
Perfect for a lazy winter day! My crockpot is my best friend through these months and this looks fanstastic!
I love my crockpot too! How did we live without them? It’s hard to remember! Thanks Amy!
my family loves enchiladas. This fairly simple crockpot recipe is perfect for my busy schedule!
It is very easy! Thanks Krissy! I hope the family enjoys!