Mexican Style Leftover Turkey Soup
Sick of Turkey after the holidays? You won't be with this ultra flavorful soup!
Servings 10 servings+
For the turkey stock
- Leftover turkey carcass with lots of meat left on it
- 1 Onion , quartered
- 1 large carrot , sliced
- 1 large stalk celery with leafy tops , sliced
- handful of chopped fresh parsley
For the soup
- turkey stock
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 large stalk celery with leafy tops chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can garbanzos or hominy
- 1 or 2 jalapenos depending on desired heat level
- 2 – 3 Tbsp. chipotle in adobo sauce and minced peppers
- 1 can corn
- 1 small can sliced black olives
Skim the accumulated fat off the tops of the cold stock.
Carefully remove all bones from the stock, cutting the meat in bite size pieces. Bring stock to boil. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic, cumin, coriander and granulated garlic. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until vegetables are tender.
Add tomatoes and black beans, garbanzos, jalapenos and chipotle in adobo. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
Add corn and black olives and just heat through for another 5 minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, radish slices, cheddar or cotija cheese, cilantro and/ or avocado.
Makes a very large batch.
Leftovers can be refrigerated for 3-4 days.
Reheat in microwave or saucepan on stove top.
For longer storage, freeze up to 1 year. Freeze in small batches to take on a busy weeknight!
Thaw in refrigerator. Reheat per above instructions.
Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 161mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3275IU | Vitamin C: 5.1mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.1mg