Pork Carnitas Tacos is one of my favorite ways to utilize my slow cooker!
This pork is so moist and juicy! It is very mild, tender and oh so scrumptious! We got at least 12 servings from one 1.5 pound pork shoulder. So this is also a very economical dish! For an added bonus, it’s SUPER Easy!! 10 minutes of preparation!!
I’m not sure where my obsession with Mexican food comes from. My only theory is my Mom must have eaten a lot when she was pregnant with me, since I was born in Covina, California, just outside of Los Angeles, I suppose that’s the most logical explanation!
It can be served with flour tortillas, also. After making the tacos I made Pork Carnitas Enchiladas Verdes. The original recipe came from Food Network.
I got this recipe from Food Network. Here is the original link. Pork Carnitas
How to Make Pork Carnitas Tacos
Rub spices all over the pork roast. Place in slow cooker.
Rough chop onion, jalapeno and garlic. Halve the orange.
Place vegetables in slow cooker. Squeeze juice from orange and place halves in too. Cover and cook on low for about 8 to 10 hours
Test pork for tenderness. It should easily break apart. Reserve juice and vegetables.
Shred pork with a fork.
Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to a heavy bottom pan.
Brown on one side. I added some of the vegetables and about 1/2 cup sauce.
Fry corn tortilla in a small pan with about 1/2″ oil over very high heat until tortilla bubbles on top. Flip tortilla over and fold in half. Fry for a few seconds on first side, then flip and fry until desired crispness on second side. Drain excess oil into pan and then drain on paper towel.
Add meat to taco.
Choose your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, etc.
I love this Slow Cooker Venison Carnitas Tacos, as well!
Other delicious Mexican Selections on Binky’s Culinary Carnival
- Stacked Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Frijoles (Refried Beans)
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Burritos with Leyden Cheese Sauce
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Tools I Use to Make Ham Pineapple Pizza
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Pork Carnitas Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (or 2 1/2 pounds bone-in)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 orange , cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Corn or Flour Tortillas
- Lettuce , diced tomatoes, grated cheese, salsa, etc. for garnish
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Salt and pepper liberally. Mix the oregano and the cumin with olive oil and rub all over pork. Place the pork in a slow cooker and top with the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Squeeze over the juice of the orange and add the two halves. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 hours. Reserve liquid.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over high heat. Press the carnitas into the oil and fry until crusty on one side. I added about 1 cup of the juice and vegetables from the crock pot to moisten.
- Place about 1/2 inch olive oil in a small pan over high heat. Fry tortillas on one side for about 1 minute. Turn and fold in half. Fry on first side of folded tortilla then turn and fry on the other.
- Place meat, a bit of the reserved liquid from the crock pot. Serve with your favorite toppings. Lettuce, tomato, cheese, salsa, etc..
Originally Published 1/18/2015
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.