Lobster appetizers are an elegant appetizer for any occasion! They have a mixture of cheese, spinach and mushroom in puffed pastry or phyllo crust!
I came up with idea for these Lobsteries when going through the freezer and refrigerator one day! Everyone who has tried them can’t get enough!!
These lobster appetizers are one of my most requested appetizers! Lobster, mushrooms, spinach and cheese all wrapped up in a flaky phyllo or puffed pastry crust!
I haven’t really found anything quite like them on line or in any of my cookbooks. Therefore I’ve reserved the right to give these delectable little morsels a name… Drum roll, Please……….Lobsteries, as in Lobster Pastries. 🙂
As I mentioned, this was a conglomeration of leftovers. Although not difficult by any means, it may be easier to make the Spinach – Mushroom filling ahead and then just add the rest of the ingredients the next day to finish them off.
What is duxelles?
From the research I’ve done, a traditional Duxelles is more of a paste, like pate, used to top toasted bread, as an appetizer!
Instead of paste, the larger chopped mushrooms give this filling more texture, and with bacon and spinach, the flavor is perfect!
How to make lobster appetizers in pastry
Prepare duxulles filling
- Saute onion and garlic until tender in butter and olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook over medium low until lightly browned.
- Add pancetta. (Can substitute bacon, but crisp that up first.)
- Add spinach.
- Cook and stir just until wilted. Remove from heat.
The spinach and mushroom mixture can be made 3 or 4 days in advance and refrigerated.
Prepare lobster filling
- Prepare duxelles. (See recipe above) Chop lobster into bite sized pieces. Add to bowl.
- Grate cheeses.
- Add cheeses and mayonnaise to bowl.
- Prepare phyllo dough or puffed pastry according to package directions.
- Cut into squares. Brush with egg/water mixture for phyllo.
- Add filling to center of square.
- Fold diagonally and brush tops with egg mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes at 375°F until golden and bubbly.
Can you freeze these lobster appetizers?
Both the mushroom spinach “duxelles” and the completed lobster filling will freeze well in a freezer bag for a couple months. When you are ready to make the appetizers, just thaw pastry sheets and filling in freezer overnight and proceed with step number 4.
There you go. Make these delicious Lobster in Pastry Appetizers for your next get- together and watch them disappear!
Other delicious recipes with lobster on BCC
Other delicious appetizer recipes on BCC
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
Tools I use to make lobster appetizer
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Lobsteries – Lobster Pastries
- 2/3 c chunk lobster
- 1/3 c gruyere , grated
- 1/3 c sharp cheddar
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 2 package puff pastry sheets
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 egg
For Spinach Mushroom Duxelles
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 c Onion
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 3 c mushrooms
- 6 c spinach
For Spinach Mushroom Duxelles
- NOTE: This recipe makes a large batch. Easily freezes for another recipe, or cut down
- quantities accordingly.
- Slice 8 pieces of bacon fine.
- In a large, heavy bottom skillet, cook bacon on medium, breaking up pieces occasionally until lightly browned. Remove browned bacon with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towel.
- While bacon is cooking, finely dice onion and garlic. After removing bacon from pan, drain all the bacon grease from pan except approximately 1 Tablespoon.
- Add the butter to bacon grease and let melt. Then add onion and saute until soft and translucent. Add garlic and saute a few more minutes.
- While the onions and garlic are cooking, rough chop the mushrooms. Strip thyme leaves.
- Chop parsley and thyme.
- When onions are just starting to brown, add mushrooms. After 7 to 10 minutes, mushrooms will start to lose their juice.
- Turn heat up on burner to speed up evaporation of liquid. Once most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, add parsley and thyme.
- Cook along for a few more minutes. Add Spinach all at once. Turn over and stir just until spinach is slightly wilted. Immediately remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove Lobster from shells. Rough chop lobster.
- Grate Cheeses. NOTE I have tried this recipe with Swiss cheese rather than Gruyere and it holds no comparison. It is just not as good.
- Chop chives and thyme.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl with the mayonnaise, and the Duxelles.
- Roll out puff pastry dough on a lightly floured board to approximately a 9″ x 12″ rectangle. Cut into desired shape. Use a 3-4″ round cookie cutter for circles or half moons. Cut 3″ squares for ‘puffs’ or turnover. **See notes for phyllo sheets
- Fill with lobster filling, pinch edges with finger or a fork to seal edges.
- Mix 1 tablespoon water and 1 whisked egg together and brush on top of pastries.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of your Lobsteries, until golden brown.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Originally Published 10/13/2014