This waffle recipe makes light and fluffy waffles, with a nice and crispy crust, yet easy to make! Purportedly JFK’s favorite breakfast!
Now whether you believe that Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis ever cooked a thing in her life, or not, this Waffle Recipe has been attributed to her, or JFK, in numerous publications. One thing to keep in mind is that the 1960’s were not the the two thousand teens. Most women at least knew how cook some things in those days. It was just what women did. Having seen all of the press that included Mrs. Kennedy, in those times, she was pressed and perfect, a fashion icon and very glamorous. However, chances are she did cook a few things here and there, at some point in her life.
These waffles are quite different than typical waffles, or Belgian waffles. They have 2 leavening agents. Quite a bit of baking powder and egg whites, that are whisked to stiff peaks. These two additions make these waffles unbelievably fluffy!
How to make Jackie Kennedy’s eggy waffle recipe
- Melt butter.
- Measure cornstarch
- Also, measure buttermilk, in liquid measuring cup.
- Measure dry ingrdients and place in bowl.
- Separate eggs and place egg yolks in large bowl.
- Place egg whites in a separate bowl, large enough to wisk them.
- Add sugar to eggs. Mix well.
- Mix dry ingredients into sugar and egg well.
- Add buttermilk.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Cook in hot waffle maker until crispy on the outside and done on the inside.
Other delicious breakfast recipes
- Belgian Waffles
- Eggs Benedict
- Hash and Eggs
- Shrimp and Asparagus Quiche
- Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls
Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter, so that you don’t miss any new recipes! Only 1 email per week, on Fridays! Sign up form is below!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it in the comments below! I would love to hear from you!
Also, don’t forget to FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!
Tools I use
Contains affiliate links, for full disclosure, see FTC Disclosure, here.
That’s how easy it is to make this Eggy Waffle Recipe. Thanks for stopping by today!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Jackie Kennedy’s Fluffy Waffle Recipe
- 1 cup Butter
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 4 eggs separate yolks and whites
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (or use cake flour and eliminate)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 8 tsp baking powder
- Melt butter.
- Measure sugar and buttermilk
- Sift flour and cornstarch. Mix in salt.
- Add sugar to egg yolks and combine.
- Add dry ingredients and buttermilk, alternating until well combined.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Add baking powder and then immediately, and gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Cook on hot waffle iron until crust is crispy and inside is done and tender. Mine took about 7 minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Whoah, they really do look nice and fluffy! Perfect for Sunday brunch!
They are, they are so good! Thanks Lisa!
Patty at Spoonabilities
These waffles do look so light and fluffy! I am going to make them for a special brunch this Sunday!!
You will love them! Thank you Patty!
I can see why they were his favorite. They look awesome! I think they will become my favorite.
They have certainly become my favorite! Thank you Andrea!
Ok, this probably doesn’t look like the easiest recipe for waffles, but the result looks amazing and the process photos are very helpful! I can’t wait to try it out!
It is definitely not the easiest recipe, but the results make it worth it! Thanks Claudia!
My daughter is obsessed with waffles – the fluffier the better. I printed out your recipe to share with her when we give her her very own waffle iron for her birthday. 🙂
Oh, how fun! I hope she likes these! I’m sure she will!