Today I thought I would share the first, of an on going series with you all. We have a friend who has a camper that literally sits on the edge of Lake Ontario near Sodus Point, NY. Eric and I try to go there at least once per month in the Summer and the Fall (It is way to cold in the Spring because the lake is still so cold!) I will show you what we cook when we are at the camper. It is totally NOT roughing it, as it has a shower, bathroom, Queen size bed, mini kitchen, etc. We almost never cook in the kitchen because we love cooking over the open fire. Today I will share a super easy Grilled Salmon with Pesto that can be finished in less than 15 minutes.
Glamping has become a very popular term lately. I even saw a story regarding glamping on the news, a few weeks ago. Although we didn’t call it glamping, we have actually been doing it for years! The key to Glamping, or camping, for that matter is preparation. You have to think of every detail. Usually the places we go glamping are a bit remote, so that even if there is a store within driving distance, you know they will charge an arm and a leg for a forgotten ingredient! So make your list and check it twice!
Trying my hand at bird shots!
On to the Grilled Salmon with Pesto
This is the pesto I made with my plethora of garlic scapes, find the recipe here. I freeze the pesto and then it is perfect for our glamping because it stays nice and cold for a while on ice.
Now, you can use any pesto that you like for this salmon, this Garlic Scape Pesto is just awesome with the salmon!
Here is the Camper, it’s a late 1970’s model because the inside colors are mauve and teal! (in the 70’s pronounced Mōve, rhymes with cove) 😂
I hope you enjoyed my first recipe for our version of “glamping”, series! The accomodations may not be that glamorous but the food always is! Soon to follow with some more episodes! If you give this Grilled Salmon with Pesto a try, let me know how you like it in the comments below! Don’t forget to sign up to my mailing list so that you don’t miss a recipe!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Salmon with Pesto
- 1 lb salmon fillet, cut into 4 equal size portions
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup garlic scape pesto
- salt & pepper to taste
- lemon slices optional
- cedar planks, soaked in water optional
- Bring salmon to room temperature while your fire is heating up.
- Rub both sides of fillets with olive oil. Then season with salt and pepper. Spoon a generous amount of garlic scape pesto on top of each filet.
- If using cedar plank, char one side of plank and turn over. Place salmon filet on the charred side and cook for about 10-12 minutes, depending on thickness of filet. Internal temperature should be 145°F according to USDA. We cook ours to 120-125° for medium to medium rare.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.