This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something. See FTC Disclosure, here.
Soup and Quiche go great together! The creaminess of the soup adds an entirely different dimension to a quiche. This lactose and gluten free cream of carrot soup is just delightful! With a hint of sweetness provided from an apple, I could literally eat it everyday! And that would be OK because it’s figure friendly and has a plethora of nutrients! Coupled with the fact that it literally takes less than 1/2 hour to make, how can you go wrong?
Carrot soup is a great use – up for the carrots that have hidden in the back of the crisper drawer in the refrigerator for just a bit too long, too! This soup is also vegan, vegetarian, refined sugar free, paleo and a few others that I am probably forgetting!
Dice the onion, celery and garlic.
Saute’ the onion for a few minutes in about a tablespoon of olive oil, just until soft.
Add the celery and garlic and saute’ a few more minutes.
Add the carrots.
Cut 1 apple into chunks.
Barely cover the vegetables with water and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium low.
Cook until all the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
With an immersion blender or in a blender container, blend until smooth, then add about 1/2 cup cashew milk and blend that in.
Serve hot with quiche or even just your favorite crackers! This Curried Yellow Squash Soup may interest you also!
Due to my background in horticulture, I had several readers request a tutorial on Vegetable Gardening. So if you have interest in the subject, these posts are packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season! Don’t miss my How to Start a Garden Series! The first part is Planning Your Garden! Second is Preparing the Garden Site. The third is Choosing Plants and Planting Your Garden. The fourth is Garden Maintenance, and the last is Harvesting a Garden and Preserving the Harvest, this post has over 100 FREE recipes for preserving your harvest!
Carrot Soup with Toasted Pecans
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 c onion diced
- 1 c celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs carrots
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp each thyme and sage
- 1/2 cashew milk approximately
- 1/2 c pecans toasted
- Prepare vegetables.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and add onions. Saute' until just soft.
- Add Celery and garlic and saute' a few more minutes.
- Add carrots, salt, pepper, thyme and sage.
- Barely cover vegetables with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Toast pecans in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until fragrant.
- With an immersion blender or in blender container blend vegetables until smooth.
- Add cashew milk to attain desired consistency and blend again. Serve hot.
Originally Published 5/23/2016