This Asparagus Soup Recipe is so very easy! It’s Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy free, and paleo (check the coconut brand you buy. It should only have coconut and water).
What could be more indicative that Spring has finally arrived than Asparagus?? Not much.
I love watching the little sprouts come out of the soil and can hardly wait to cut them off! We eat asparagus all year long, though. It is by far one of our favorite veges.
For this reason, I have lots of the hard ends that I cut off of the larger ones, bought from the grocery store! I pop them in a bag and freeze them until I am ready to make soup.
They can be cooked down to make a plain asparagus stock, or added to Vegetable Stock. Here are those ends, added to a saucepan with water, which are going to make me a lovely stock!!
How to make Asparagus Soup
- Cook the hard ends of the asparagus for 10 to 20 minutes, to start a stock.
- Use fresh, young asparagus for the bulk of the soup.
- Cut the middle parts into about 2″ pieces.
- Cut the young tips off to about 2″
- Strain hard ends from stock. Discard.
- Blanche tips in stock for just a few minutes.
- Cool in ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Add middle pieces to the stock.
- Dice onion and celery.
- Saute in a bit of olive oil until soft.
- Add stock with the mid sections of asparagus to onions and garlic.
- Cook until asparagus is tender.
- Once it is, use immersion blender or blender, to blend up soup. If your asparagus is large, you may get the stringy woody pieces of the asparagus. To mitigate this, peel larger, thicker asparagus, or just use that for stock.
- Add coconut milk and cook over low until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add asparagus tips at the end for garnish.
Interested in growing your own vegetables at home? Don’t miss our series of articles to help you be successful growing your own, packed full of information about how to get that big harvest by the end of the season!
See the first article; Planning Your Garden!
Other delicious vege soups
Tools I use
If you have any questions or comments, please ask in comment section below. We’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoyed the recipe today!
Enjoy. And have fun cooking!
Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1 bunch asparagus, I also use frozen ends of asparagus, about 2 cups
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1.5-2 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, to taste
- Add frozen ends of asparagus to a 4 quart stockpot. Add vegetable stock.
- Cut ends off of the asparagus. Add to ends in stockpot.
- Simmer at least 10 minutes, until asparagus is soft.
- Cut small tips off of asparagus. Cut middle section into about 2″ pieces.
- Once the ends have softened, remove them and discard. Then quickly blanch the small ends for 1 to 2 minutes. Immediately remove them to an ice water bath.
- Remove stock to another container. Soften the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil, just until soft.
- Add the stock back to pan and the middle portions of the asparagus. Bring to boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- With an immersion blender or in batches in a blender, puree the soup. I remove some of the stringy pieces of asparagus that are left after blending because I don't like the texture. If you use a blender you can use a colander or sieve to remove it. **See notes below.
- Once soup is creamed, add coconut and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or cold.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and purchase something, at no additional cost to you. See FTC Disclosure, here.