This is my easy, delicious version of Seafood Fra Diavolo. It is spicy and is bursting with the flavors of the sea!!
As other blogger friends of mine are doing, I am revamping photos from some of my earlier posts. I have considered just changing the main images for all of them but honestly, then I will all but forget the progress that I have made with my photography in the last few months. And I have made a ton of progress! I even have a bunch of photos on the biggest (and pickiest) food photography site, Foodgawker! If you would like to see my gallery, just click here!
This Seafood Fra Diavolo is one of my husband’s favorite dinners! It is so simple that you can have dinner on the table in just about the time it takes you to cook the pasta! And it is loaded with all of your favorite seafood! … Win win situation…
I use what ever seafood I have in the freezer. I found these lovely little bay scallops at a local grocer that are dry aged. You always want to check the ingredients on your shrimp and scallops to make sure they do not have any STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate) added (referred to as wet aged). It will give the seafood a bitter taste as opposed to the sweet taste of dry aged seafood!
So all you have to do prepare this Seafood Fra Diavolo is to quick sear the scallops and shrimp and then set them aside. Next saute’ the onion and garlic in the same pan used to sear the seafood. Then deglaze the pan with a splash of white wine. Add the juice from the clams. If you have seafood stock by all means use that instead of water and then add some crushed tomatoes, herbs and the cherry tomatoes. Cook that down until it thickens. Don’t forget to add a mug full of the starchy cooking water from the pasta, just before you drain the pasta! Here is a YouTube video that will show you the technique, if you’d like!
Toss all of the sauce in with the pasta, garnish with additional parsley and Parmigiana cheese! You will totally thank me for this one. ….I promise!!! I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe for Seafood Fra Diavolo. Check out the original post and let me know how you think my photography is coming (click here)
As always, Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Seafood Medley Fra Diavolo
Fancy enough for company! Easy enough for any weeknight!
- about 1 dozen whole clams
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (might require a bit more if pan becomes dry)
- 1/2 lb large shrimp , peeled
- 3/4 lb large or bay scallops
- 6 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- 3 shallots , peeled and chopped
- 35 cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 3/4 c canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c dry white wine
- 1 can minced clams
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil , minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley , minced plus a bit for garnish
- alt and pepper
- 1/2 lb pasta of your choice
- 3/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a large pot with a small amount of boiling water, steam clams just until they open. Remove immediately and set aside.
Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add shrimp and cook, stirring once until just cooked through (pink). About 1-2 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add scallops and brown on both sides, about 1.5 minutes per side. Transfer to the plate and set aside.
- Turn pan back down to medium. Add garlic and shallots to skillet and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Turn heat back up to medium high.
Add wine, cherry tomatoes, canned tomatoes,, basil, parsley and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally and reducing heat if liquid starts to boil too rapidly, until cherry tomatoes are soft and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat until just tender, Drain, reserving 1/4 c. pasta water.
- Add parsley, pepper flakes, pasta, pasta water, and seafood to skillet and toss well.
- Serve immediately.