Slow Cooker dishes are my all time favorite! So little effort, so much reward! These Slow Cooker Venison Tacos or Tostadas are among my family’s favorite venison recipes! These can be made with beef, chicken or pork in the same manner if you don’t have venison readily available.
Honestly, doesn’t everyone love their slow cooker? What’s not to love? I use mine all year long for a variety of tasty dishes!
These Venison Carnitas Tacos literally take less than 5 minutes to put together. Just add the meat to the slow cooker, no need to brown. Quarter the onion and orange. Add a few basic spices that if you cook with Mexican flavors you definitely have in your pantry, and barely cover with stock or water.
Turn the slow cooker on low for about 6 hours and you are rewarded with the most tender and juicy meat you have ever eaten! Once the meat is pulled, it can be made into taquitos, enchiladas, burritos, Huevos Rancheros, just about anything you can think of. Pile some on top of nachos for a great, quick dinner!
My theory is, unless you are vegan or vegetarian or pescetarian, and you like beef, there is absolutely no reason that you wouldn’t love this. If you try to cook with venison (or any game for that matter) and it is tough or has a gamey flavor, you didn’t cook it right. It is basically that simple!
If you have never attempted to cook with venison and want to give it a try at some point, this is the perfect recipe to get you started! It is literally foolproof! So go ahead and give it a try and let me know what you think!!
Enjoy! And have fun cooking!
Slow Cooker Venison Carnitas Tacos or Tostadas
This is another easy way to prepare some of the leg roasts of venison that tend to be tough!
- 2 - 3 pounds boneless venison leg roast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons adobo spice
- 1 onion , quartered
- 1 orange , cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Corn or Flour Tortillas
- Lettuce , diced tomatoes, grated cheese, salsa, etc. for garnish
- Salt and pepper roast liberally. Place the roast in a slow cooker and top with the onion, orange and spices. Add about 2 cups water or stock to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 hours. Reserve liquid.
- Once the meat is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over high heat. Press the carnitas into the oil and fry until crusty on one side. I added about 1 cup of the juice and vegetables from the crock pot to moisten.
- Place about 1/2 inch olive oil in a small pan over high heat. Fry tortillas on one side for about 1 minute. Turn and fold in half. Fry on first side of folded tortilla then turn and fry on the other.
- Place meat in tortilla. Serve with your favorite toppings. Lettuce, tomato, cheese, salsa, etc..