On Taco Tuesday I always make leftover beans and meat so that we can have Huevos Rancheros Wednesday! I will even shred extra lettuce, dice extra tomatoes and shred extra cheese. So, literally, on Wednesday you can have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes! How great is that? I guess I’m inherently lazy because whenever I can add a few more ingredients to what I’m cooking and save it for another dinner when I don’t have time to cook, I do. Does that make me lazy or thrifty? I don’t know, you be the judge
They are totally customizable, you can add or subtract ingredients to accommodate the items you have in your pantry. The other beautiful thing about Huevos Rancheros is that you can literally put anything on them you like. Meat for your huevos rancheros could be anything, Chicken, Beef, Pork, Chorizo, Turkey, Lamb, Venison, Seafood or fish or make it vegetarian by just using pinto or black beans (either whole or refried). Sweet or hot peppers, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, black olives, jalapenos, avocado, cheese, Mexican creme or sour cream, for garnish. Really everything tastes great with those gooey eggs and corn tortillas! See how easy it is to make them on my new YouTube Video!
How to Make on Youtube: Huevos Rancheros
These Pork Taquitos are easy and tasty too! You can check out the step by step instructions on YouTube as well!
Huevos Rancheros on YouTube
Huevos Rancheros is one of our favorite, easy meals for a busy day! So versatile and totally customizable!
- lb . Fresh Chorizo (or substitute ground or shredded beef, pork, chicken, turkey, venison, even fish and seafood sauteed with Mexican spices)
- 1/2 c . finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-2 cups dices tomatoes
- 1/2 lb . grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs per serving
- 12 corn tortillas (get a package of flour tortillas for lunch tomorrow)
- Salsa of your choice
- Frijoles Refritos (Refried beans)
- Any optional toppings you want
- Sour cream or Creme Fraiche
- Black Olives
- Shred lettuce and cheese, set aside. Dice tomatoes, set aside.
- Remove Chorizo from casing. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottom fry pan. Brown Chorizo in small batches and transfer to a bowl. When all the Chorizo is browned add chopped onion to the same pan and saute until opaque. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned. Add previously browned Chorizo to pan to reheat. Turn pan to low heat.
- Warm frijoles in a microwave safe container for 2-3 minutes.
- Add oil to a small fry pan on high heat. When oil is very hot, place corn tortilla carefully in pan just until first side is softened. Turn. Fry until desired crispness. Repeat, (two per serving) Drain on paper towel and cover with another piece of paper towel to keep warm.
- Spray no- stick in a third small fry pan and heat on medium. Add eggs carefully so the yolks don't break. Fry eggs either sunnyside up, over easy or poached until desired firmness.
- Assemble Tortillas. Spread beans on two tortillas, Add Chorizo, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa and any optional topping you choose. Serve immediately
Originally Published 6/14/2016