The beauty of serving nachos for dinner is they are totally customizable! Add any of your favorite toppings to create a culinary masterpiece! Healthy, economical and done in less than 15 minutes! What more could you ask for? We end up having Mexican style foods at least once a week. Besides being quick, easy and tasty, they are easily adapted to be gluten and lactose free!
Cut whaterever meat you are using into small pieces. Leftovers are great for nachos, too! Whatever you have in the house works!
Get your pan very hot and add olive oil, your chicken pieces and sprinkle with cumin powder and chili powder to taste. Flip after only a few minutes and then brown the other side. I had a leftover chicken thigh but a chicken breast is a great substitution. One thigh was plenty for three people because there are so many other toppings.
When browned on both sides, remove from the heat immediately. About 160°F because they’ll cook more under the broiler.
While the chicken is browning, grate cheese and slice up any other vegetables you like. In this case, black olives, tomatoes, lettuce and green onion. Start oven on High broil.
Place tortilla chips on a baking sheet.
Microwave frijoles (refried beans, I use fat free, you can’t even tell the difference) for a minute or so. Load the chips with frijoles. Add the chicken pieces and any other toppings you like, including but not limited to; diced onion, sliced green onion, pickled or fresh, sliced jalapenos, garbanzos, diced pineapple, etc.
Top with cheese and broil just until cheese is melted. (If you’re like me and tend to forget things, keep the oven door partially open so you don’t start a fire!)
Garnish with lettuce, diced tomaotes, sliced olives, jalapenos, your favorite salsas and/or sour cream or Mexican creme. (obviously the other members of my household can indulge!) guacamole or avocado slices, diced bell peppers, etc, etc, Super fun, Super easy weeknight meal! Gluten Free! To make the recipe Dairy or Lactose Free use Vegan Cheddar style shreds which can be found in the specialty foods section in many grocery stores!
These shrimp nachos are fantastic! One of my favorites!
Nachos are great, easy dinner for those busy nights or a great appetizer for a crowd!
- 2 tsp . olive oil
- 1 boneless , skinless chicken breast or thigh
- 1 bag corn tortilla chips , I like the scoop shape because they hold more!
- 1 cup shredded cheddar , or monterey jack cheese
- 1 can refried beans
- optional toppings include , Diced onion, sliced green onion, sliced black olives, jalapenos (fresh or pickled)
- garnishes include , shredded lettuce, diced tomato, diced avocado, sour cream or Mexican Creme
- Dice chicken into small bite size pieces.
- Over high heat, quickly brown chicken on one side and then flip over. Depending on the size of your pieces this should take 5 minutes, or so.
- Spread tortilla chips on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Grate cheese and prepare any additional toppings.
- Place beans in a microwaveable dish. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Start broiler on high.
- Add dollops of beans to the top of the tortilla chips.
- Top with chicken and any other toppings you are using.
- Add grated cheese to the top. Broil about 2 to 3 minutes, watching carefully!
- Garnish and serve immediately.